Speaking of Penzance.....Is $55 For The 8 Ounce Bag Too Much?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

jmatt

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 25, 2014
I have 3 pounds of Penzance Cellared. 1 pound of Stonehaven. My Brick & Mortar Store has no Stonehaven, but 3 8 ounce bags of Penzance. He wants $55 per bag plus tax plus my time and gas money.....
Should I just pass?

bonehed

Nov 27, 2014
It's usually around $25-30; usually meaning once, maybe twice, a year for 5 minutes...
Edit: But you probably know that. Your question is really one only you can answer...

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
I would. But the I'm not you and have no idea of what it is worth to you. Obviously, $55.00 is causing a bit of angst. Not knowing you financial situation I'd advise against the purchase simply because you posed the question.

iamn8

Lifer
Sep 8, 2014
Moody, AL
Smokingpipes charges $25, but my local B&M charges $40, others $55. It's in norm. You could turn around and make double your money. People will pay. I say buy low, sell high.

ericusrex

Lifer
Feb 27, 2015
I think the days of it being $25-30 are gone. $36-45 seems to be the new norm. So unless those bags have some age $55 is quite high.

jmatt

Aug 25, 2014

Here's my tobacco purchase from last week. It's not about price so much as value. Last year I think I paid about $32 plus tax. And I've got better things to do with my time than try to make a buck or two as a Penzance reseller. If someone wants me to pick it up and trade me some Stonehaven, I'd do that. Otherwise - I'll pass I guess.

iamn8

Lifer
Sep 8, 2014
Moody, AL
As was said, very worth it to some and def not for others. It's all relative. If I preferred less expensive tobacco I'd be excessively happy.

andrew

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
Come to Canada where a 50gm pouch of OTC is 35$ at the cheapest, then consider 55$ for 8 ounces of some of the most sought after tobacco in the world.

jmatt

Aug 25, 2014
ANDY: Come to Canada where a 50gm pouch of OTC is 35$ at the cheapest, then consider 55$ for 8 ounces of some of the most sought after tobacco in the world.

Andy - it's you guys to the north that make us down here cellar so much tobacco. I might not feel your pain (yet), but I smell it coming.....

hiplainsdrifter

Jan 8, 2012
55.00 is a fine price. I have purchased it most commonly in the last year from 35.00-45.00. I have never seen it for less than 30.00- in stock anyway. Given that new bags go on fleabay for double that price, I don't think 55.00 is a bad deal at all. That's less than 14.00 per 2 oz, and a lot of good tins cost that much.

rcstan

Lifer
Mar 7, 2012
Sunset Beach NC
I think it's a very fair retail price. Your local guy probably gets it from one of the big etailers and not the distributor, so he has to eat too.
Also, how much do you smoke? And how much Penzance would you smoke? I'm quite fond of the stuff in small doses ( it starts tasting like any old English if you smoke 3 bowls back to back ), and I've had my 8 oz bag for a year and a half now .....

phil67

Lifer
Dec 14, 2013
On another thread about Penzance one member posted just a few days ago, and I quote:
I got mine from tobacco bid.

Cost $23.00 on ounce but well worth it.
That would be $184.00 for an 8 ounce bag! Personally, I think that's beyond the point of insanity to the extreme. If I'm going to pay that much it had damn well better come with a model from Victoria's Secret. Just last month I got a bag from Milan Tobacconists for $36.95 which is more or less what it should be. However, $55.00 isn’t really all that bad when you consider that makes it $10.32 for a 1 ½ ounce tin (50g) which is actually quite reasonable when you consider what some of the better sought after tobaccos cost. Personally, I wouldn’t pay that much, but then again I’m cheap (a retired requirement) and I don’t consider Penzance to be manna from heaven that many proclaim it is.

yazamitaz

Lifer
Mar 1, 2013
I guess I look at it like this. You say you have three pounds. How much of it do you smoke? Do you prefer it aged?
Last year you couldn't find Wessex BCDF or Astley's 44 and now I think it's in stock everywhere. The Germain's and John Aylesbury Luxury Flake are still hard to find (unless you look at European shops) and Esoterica is a small batch company. Just because SP, P&C, and others OFFER it at $35 means nothing. If its not in stock than those prices are insignificant. Will it ever NOT be sought out? Who knows. Will the draw eventually die? Maybe. I wouldn't pay $55 for a bag but that's just me.

yazamitaz

Lifer
Mar 1, 2013
Oh I forgot to add - GREAT SCORE last week!!!!!
I like your taste in tobacco. I enjoy every one of those in the pic above

peteguy

Lifer
Jan 19, 2012
I would pay that, I have paid that, and more. It is so damn hard to get that you pay what you have to sometimes.

phil67

Lifer
Dec 14, 2013
It is so damn hard to get that you pay what you have to sometimes.
Sorry, but I’ll have to respectively disagree with that statement. One does not HAVE to do anything when it comes to purchasing and paying any type of exorbitant price for a tobacco. It’s a choice, and when all is said and done it’s simply a tobacco blend that will in no way shape or form alter one’s life if they find themselves without it. Way too much other good shit out there other than willing to paying anything for something that, when all is said and done, doesn’t mean a tinkers damn in the whole grand scheme of things. :wink:

jmatt

Aug 25, 2014
Oh I forgot to add - GREAT SCORE last week!!!!!
I like your taste in tobacco. I enjoy every one of those in the pic above

Thanks Yaz! I just cut my first ever slice of Wessex Gold Brick - I'm liking it so far. I also already opened a Solani Silver, and LOVE what I'm tasting there as well.

stickframer

Apr 11, 2015
I'd pay that all day; I live in Canada. We're crazy up here. Lol. I guess with 3 pounds cellared you could always wait to try the online route and save a few bucks.
Jmatt that's a nice order. I could never place an order that large, but I can dream. The duty charged would be 23 bucks per 50 grams. I'm guessing free shipping, too?

Status
Not open for further replies.