PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

exbenedict

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 6, 2018
Ok, this may sound a bit weird, but I opened my first tine of SPC Plum Pudding and have smoked a few bowls of it, and it tastes very odd to me. It leaves, what I can only describe as, a film on my mouth and tongue while and after smoking that tastes vaguely of some sort of chemical cleaner. It doesn't smoke very well, even after drying, and I'm wondering if it's just a bad tin,or has anyone else encountered this problem?

3rdguy

Lifer
Aug 29, 2017
Iowa
Much as I wanted to I do not care for it either. I jarred and it and will revisit. Loved the tin note.

npod

Lifer
Jun 11, 2017
I agree Benedict-ex. Plum Pudding has never tasted good to me and I also noted a film like residue on the palate.

grimpuffer

Can't Leave
Aug 29, 2016
Interesting.
Although I much prefer Mississippi River, I have several tins of Plum Pudding and enjoy it very much in the cooler months.
The only issue I ever had was tongue bite if I pushed it too hard but never any negative aftertaste like that you speak off.
Will have to smoke some I already have open tomorrow and see.

brooklynpiper

Part of the Furniture Now
May 8, 2018
Plum Pudding is something I gushed over when I first tried it. Nowadays I'm really trying to taste more blends and found out the ones I like before they go hasta la vista.
Maybe it's a you thing. Maybe something funky on Sutliff's end. Maybe trade it or return. Maybe jar it up and try it later. Maybe you'll always hate it and you'll smoke it as the last thing left in your cellar after the apocalypse.
Either way, it's a shame it didn't agree with you.

cwpiperman

Can't Leave
Jun 15, 2018
I've got quite a bit of Plum Pudding and Plum Pudding SR. I just finished a bowl of Special Reserve, and I didn't notice any mouth film, or off taste. I really like Plum Pudding AND Mississippi River; they're different enough to smoke on different occasions. Looking forward to seeing how it ages, and stocking up.
CW

deckpiper

Might Stick Around
Apr 18, 2018
Mississippi River is my favorite, but I do like Plum Pudding as well. No odd taste or film at all.

exbenedict

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 6, 2018
I've jarred it up and am going to let it sit for a few months and see what happens. I am not one to give up on a blend right away, but we'll see what happens. Cheers!

May 9, 2018
Raleigh, NC
Is there such a thing as an acquired taste for certain tobaccos? I know certain things are really good once you have had enough of it and acquire the taste, but not too sure how many bad bowls I'd want to put up with to get there. Maybe it would be better come winter. I know my palate greatly increases and changes come winter. Something that smells/tastes bad in the heat of summer usually is quite different in the winter for me. Hope it works out for you!

J. Mayo

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 18, 2012
Texas
Not sure about the "film" you experienced...... But Plum Pudding was a very middle of the road Balkan for me. Definitely an enjoyable smoke, but nothing spectacular after all the hype I'd read. Sorry about your bad experience, ship the rest to me and I'll test it thoroughly for you :lol:

pepesdad1

Lifer
Feb 28, 2013
Got some on order...looking forward to popping the tin.
Anything like Bengal Slices?
And how is the PP SR different from regular Plum Pudding?

smokeyweb

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 29, 2013
Haha. Just trolling! I have smoked a few tins of SPC Plumb Pudding and have never noticed a chemical taste or mouth film. I love the stuff.

Status
Not open for further replies.