Pipes Magazine » Pipe Tobacco Reviews

Tags:   

SPC - Mississippi River, Here Goes.

(20 posts)
  1. derfargin

derfargin

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

So, I know I'm about to unleash a dam of opposition but I'd like to get the opinions of people here that have smoked the SPC offerings Mississippi River, Plum Pudding, and Seattle Evening.

I have smoked a tin of Mississippi River, and I've found the tobacco to be lacking the qualities of that I like in English style blend. I didn't hate it, but I didn't find what most others have found in it. Perhaps after my pallet matures, (I've only been at this for around 8 months now) I may give it another go, to see if I like it better.

With that said, I'm interested in the other two offerings from SPC - Plum Pudding, and Seattle Evening. Are both of those blends different enough from Mississippi River that they're worth checking out?

Edit: I just realized I probably should have posted this in "Tobacco Discussion" rather than in the review area here. My apologies.

There are 10 types of people in this world, those who understand binary, and those who don't.
    Posted 5 years ago #
  2. User has not uploaded an avatar

Anonymous

Unregistered

Login to Send PM

I really enjoy M River and Plum Pudding they aren't similar but they also aren't. They are both smokey but Plum Pudding is richer and darker. I smoked both yesterday and I really like them, so it's funny you ask.

I'm not trying to be vague but yes......get some Plum Pudding.

Posted 5 years ago #
  3. masspiper

masspiper

Login to Send PM

I absolutely love Mississippi River and really like Plum Pudding. Smoking a bowl of Mississippi River at this moment in a meer great stuff. I loaded up on both but have not tried Seattle Evening yet. You can get these in bulk maybe try a ounce or two of each of them.

What the heck is a Frog Morton? Who cares tastes great!!!
    Posted 5 years ago #
  4. peckinpahhombre

peckinpahhombre

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I keep meaning to order the Mississippi River. For some reason I never think of it when I'm on SP.

Posted 5 years ago #
  5. pruss

pruss

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I agree with rsuninv. Plum Pudding is a little deeper and is a creamier smoke. Mississippi River is tangier and a touch closer to a fruity, tomato, sweetness. I like them both very much. Peck, I'll put some aside for you.

-- Pat

Posted 5 years ago #
  6. andrew

Andy

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I keep meaning to order the Mississippi River. For some reason I never think of it when I'm on SP.

4noggins has SPC in bulk, but out of stock of MR until early june, so right around the corner.

As for Plum pudding, it's one of the best blends I've ever smoked. I would describe it almost as a cross-over style blend, as it had a sweetness to it and that something else they describe in there as a mystery ingredient, some kind of topping. But it's top notch, one of the few blends I would give a 5/5 on. It's perfectly balanced in every aspect. I'm just saving it for late fall/winter though, as I gravitate towards Latakia blends during that time. I ordered a pound of it without trying it and am extremely happy that I did, I'm going to do the same with MR.

Posted 5 years ago #
  7. antbauers

antbauers

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Mississippi River is good and I loved Plum Pudding. Although you didn't enjoy MR much, I think you'll enjoy Plum Pudding. Others have described it well and better than I could have, so I won't even try. Seattle evening is one that I haven't smoked, but hope to order some soon.

Posted 5 years ago #
  8. User has not uploaded an avatar

mrdaniels

Login to Send PM

I have some Mississippi River that should get here today along with some other stuff. I can't wait until I try it. I have heard good things about it so I figured that if I found that I did not like it then I could just trade for other things. I was debating on getting some plum pudding as well. Guess I should have!

Posted 5 years ago #
  9. edgreen

edgreen

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I love both Mississippi River and Plum Pudding. Since the things you don't like about Mississippi River are the very things I like I don't think I can advise you. I want my Englishes to be different from each other in some way. I find Plum Pudding both creamier and spicier (pepper-like) than MR and MR a little smokier.

Tobacco's a musician.And in a pipe delighteth;It descends in a close,Through the organ of the nose, With a relish that inviteth.
    Barten Holiday
    Posted 5 years ago #
  10. derfargin

derfargin

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Thanks all for the input. I mostly found it much too mild for my tastes, and it sounds as if Plum Pudding may suit me better. I'll throw an ounce or two in my next order.

Posted 5 years ago #
  11. aquilas

aquilas

Login to Send PM

Mississippi River is one of my favorite tobaccos. I gave Plum Pudding a try, but didn't like it as much as MR. Thought about it a bit mroe and it was probably the pipe the smoked it in. I've been wanting to give PP another shot.

Posted 5 years ago #
  12. monty55

monty55

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I love Mississippi River and Plum Pudding. I would agree that Plum Pudding is deeper, richer, and creamier. Maybe you are comparing the MR with other English style blends, while in reality MR holds it's own as an American blend.. IMO

I just bought some 2010 Plum Pudding on ebay and I am actively cellaring new product as we speak. I believe that it will produce an outstanding smoke down the road.

Peck, you can't buy SPC tobacco at SP you have to go through PAC.

Posted 5 years ago #
  13. User has not uploaded an avatar

james80

Login to Send PM

I smoke both and love them. I think you hit the nail on the head, as your pallet matures and changes you may appreciate the MR offering more. I find it to be more lemony in flavour than most ''english'' style blends.

I currently have 1 kilo of Plum Pudding jarred and I am looking forward to seeing how it ages.

Posted 5 years ago #
  14. yaddy306

yaddy306

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Peck, you can't buy SPC tobacco at SP you have to go through PAC.

That's incorrect. Both Smokingpipes.com and 4Noggins have bulk Mississippi River and Plum Pudding.

Posted 5 years ago #
  15. masspiper

masspiper

Login to Send PM

^^^^^SP only has Plum Pudding in stock and 4noggins is out of both. I can get 2 8oz tins of either MS or PP for $59 at P+C and it would cost $62 a pound in bulk at SP. I think I would rather have the tins.

Posted 5 years ago #
  16. lostandfound

lostandfound

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Nobody has anything to say about Seattle Evening?

I had Mississippi River some time ago... The flavor was good and I liked that it smoked like a flake, but I'm of the opinion that every baccy should be a flake or crumble cake or plug or broken flake, so...

Jerod
    Posted 5 years ago #
  17. derfargin

derfargin

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

UPDATE --- My TAD order came in the other day, and I had my first bowl of Plum Pudding. I can tell by just one bowl that I prefer much more it to Mississippi River. A fuller smoke in my opinion. I'll be ordering some more for the stock.

Posted 5 years ago #
  18. joeray

joeray

Login to Send PM

SPC Plum Pudding is more better for me, i like the MR but for me SPC Plum Pudding smokes better

May all being be happy
    Posted 5 years ago #
  19. derfargin

derfargin

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Bloody hell this Plum Pudding IS DA BOMB-DIGGITY!!! I got my next TAD order queued up, and I'm putting in for a pound for the stock. I wouldn't mind trying it with some age on it just to get a comparison, but I can't imagine that this could get any better.

Posted 5 years ago #
  20. andrew

Andy

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Bloody hell this Plum Pudding IS DA BOMB-DIGGITY!!! I got my next TAD order queued up, and I'm putting in for a pound for the stock. I wouldn't mind trying it with some age on it just to get a comparison, but I can't imagine that this could get any better.

Indeed, I ordered a pound without trying it, so when I had that first bowl I knew I'd made a good choice. I really can't see age making it much better. I think it's a good introduction to english blends like the frog morton series but way better.

Posted 5 years ago #

You must log in to post.

Back To Top  | Back to Forum Home Page

Members Online Now
   hauntedmyst, oldtoby, boston, jiminks, hoosierpipeguy