PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

ignaciojn

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 19, 2016
I'm trying a local blend (Argento Latakia, not good) and for the first time in my pipe smoking life, I've seen a spark when relighting the tobacco.
This has happened to me dozens of times when smoking cigarettes, but it's a first with the pipe.
Could it be some kind of additive? Or maybe a hint of flint, since I'm using a BIC.

Civil War

Lifer
Mar 6, 2018
Wow, never experienced that with pipe tobacco. A cigar will pop occasionally (dead tobacco beetles).

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Could it be flint particles from the lighter? I've seen them sparkle in the bowl on many ocassions.

ignaciojn

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 19, 2016
Could it be flint particles from the lighter?
Yes, that would be my guess.
Still wanted to ask, since it's the first time this happens in almost two years of pipe smoking, and it coincided with smoking a cheap blend for the first time.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
I see it a lot when using older lighters. Lots of flint residue on the strikers.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
'Never seen sparks. Maybe the occasional stray ember jumping out of the bowl, but usually on the first light before the tobacco settles. The flint explanation sounds right. I use mostly matches.

bnichols23

Lifer
Mar 13, 2018
SC Piedmont
Feh. Back in the REAL actual day we just sat around with a filled pipe & hoped lightning would strike! (Explains a little about why Embers & I are the way we are.)

Status
Not open for further replies.