PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

gwynclan

Can't Leave
Jan 18, 2012
Anyone used any type of food jars for baccy storage. I would think pickle and garlic jars out, but I washed a spaghetti jars and seems it has no residual smell.

any thoughts, trying to recycle/ save money.

sherlock

Can't Leave
Aug 21, 2011
I think that they would work for short term storage, but to age you would want to be able to vacum seal it and I am not sure that you can reseal these jars.

havanarick

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 4, 2012
Texas
the only thing you might need to be concerned with is the lid. it will keep the smell of the spag sauce. If i am wrong someone please let me know!

spartan

Lifer
Aug 14, 2011
The jars are so cheap there's really no need to save money in this dept. They're like $1-$3 ea. depending on were you go. And they last forever.
It's recommended you use new airtight glass jars. If you want to wash a jar and you think it is air tight and doesn't smell then you're good to go.
I'd toss the spaghetti jar into the recycle bin. Just my thoughts.

rickpal14

Lifer
Jun 9, 2011
I use Classico brand spaghetti sauce jars as they accept the replacement Ball Jar type lids. Work like a charm!!

markw4mms

Lifer
Jun 16, 2011
Bremen,GA
Classico jars are ball style mason jars, they should be fine, Any jar you can't replace the lid on is a no go in my book.

jaysin

Lifer
Feb 8, 2012
Indiana
I have to agree with markw4mms on this one.

and there seems to be a debate on if one should creat a vacuum on jars for ageing. can anyone clear this one up?

hobie1dog

Lifer
Jun 5, 2010
Cornelius, NC
Sounds logical...I was at Lowes recently and they had the boxes of just new lids for Mason jars on clearance, so it would be great to just put new lids on Classico glass jars. Only makes good sense to re-use a perfectly good glass container, instead of getting all anal and being the wasteful Sheeple we all are, tossing everything in the trash.
Thanks for the Classico suggestion.

lifeon2

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 19, 2012
denver co
I also use classico jars :D new lids though. Of course I was at hobby lobby and the wide mouth ball jars were on sale for 75 cents each. I almost filled the cart, not quite though they didnt have enough jars.

tomdavis

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 2, 2011
Houston TX
I believe Greg Pease (at least someone I trusted) wrote somewhere about vacuum packing tobacco and that the lack of air will interfere with aging. That made sense as the chemicals that are the taste and aroma must primarily mingle within the blend byway of the trapped air. If there is very little then there would be less "travel". There would be some byway of touching but then that would be limited. That is my elementary logic. Greg: did you write about this once?

kennerth

Can't Leave
Jul 30, 2011
I use olive and pickled stuff jars. I fill them up and add a splash or two of bleach. Then I let them sit in the sink to soften the labels. 3 or 4 days later, I wash them in the dishwasher and there is no residual smell of vinegar, garlc, or bleach. I like the idea of repurposing.

zanthal

Lifer
Dec 3, 2011
Pleasanton, CA
Ok so if it holds water tight why wouldn't it hold air?
I think we're talking the difference between long term storage, and loooooooooong term storage. :lol:
Tobacco can age and last considerably longer than you'd ever want spaghetti sauce to.

Status
Not open for further replies.