PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

beefeater33

Lifer
Apr 14, 2014
Central Ohio
Have fun!! I hunted doves for years here in Ohio. That's some fast paced shooting. I hope you got more shells than that, or you are a helluva lot better shot than me LOL! I had trouble hitting those speedy buggers-- and would usually go through 4 boxes, and NOT limit out!! I shot a Win. model 12 20 gauge, loved every minute of it-- great times! :D

sparrowhawk

Lifer
Jul 24, 2013
Can you smoke a pipe while hunting, or does the scent alert the doves you are there? Good hunting to you!

huntertrw

Lifer
Jul 23, 2014
The Lower Forty of Hill Country
I have been privileged to shoot doves on a business acquaintance's private lease west of Dallas, and can say unequivocally that it is fun and challenging shooting. Those birds can perform aerobatics worthy of a graduate of Top Gun!
At quitting time we breasted the doves, inserted slices of Jalapeno pepper into each, wrapped them with bacon pinned with a toothpick, and then grilled them to taste over charcoal. The perfect entree to a post-hunt picnic!
I wish you good, safe, shooting, and a pleasant day afield.

beefeater33

Lifer
Apr 14, 2014
Central Ohio
At quitting time we breasted the doves, inserted slices of Jalapeno pepper into each, wrapped them with bacon pinned with a toothpick, and then grilled them to taste over charcoal

Same here, huntertrw-- but we usually added a spot of cream cheese too, and did them on the smoker, low and slow, until just done. Makes my mouth water thinking about it!

thesmokingtexan

Can't Leave
Jul 11, 2014
I only need 15 shells per day.... We'll make it 17 in case I miss a couple times :). I can smoke while shooting bird hunting is not like deer hunting. They'll either fly by or not regardless. I have sat on my truck with the music playing and hunted before. It is a lot more payed back and relaxing than big animal hunting.

thesmokingtexan

Can't Leave
Jul 11, 2014
I got 20 birds and shot over 100 rounds. My shoulder is a little tender. It was a lot of fun however a little difficult to smoke a pipe while constantly having to swing a shotgun up to get a bird. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.