PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

hawke

Lifer
Feb 1, 2014
Augusta, Ga
In restoring a KB&B Chesterfield (See this thread), Ive encountered some bitterness. Looking for info on removing this.
Is it time to try the Salt Treatment for my first time?
Ive not seen this used anywhere but apple cider vinegar is a good medicinal product. What about this somehow? Vinegar is a mild acid I know. Or what about the opposite, Baking Soda, an alkaline and said great to remove odors in the frig, pet smell from carpets, etc... I dont have any Oxy-Clean.

ravkesef

Lifer
Aug 10, 2010
Cheshire, CT
I've done the salt and alcohol treatment, and it has worked--in most cases. But for an extreme case, I tried the "Ghosts be gone" treatment by GL Pease, and it worked like a charm – I had what was essentially a new pipe when it was done. Personally, I prefer the latter method because it is, in my opinion, gentler on the pipe.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Funky flavors and smells arise from a lot of different sources, some just old inert tobacco cake and

constituents, and other from mold, mildew, maybe the occasional microbe culture. For incidental

funky odors, a little high proof booze helps and kills off most odor causers. I like the fact that this

is potable by intent. I'm less fond of the idea of using rubbing alcohol, which does evaporate quickly

and pretty much disappears. But it's not something you want to inhale or ingest even in trace amounts.

For estate pipes, I'd vote for a retort and/or salt treatment -- something that will pretty much cleanse

the airway and bowl. I haven't used those, so will defer to restoration experts in residence.

May 31, 2012
It looks like you've already sanded the bowl almost down to the wood,

that's usually what I do too with a well-smoked estate.
If the pipe is particularly sour, it may take 2 runs of the salt treatment, and since your pipe is a system, I'd say that the well needs an extensive cleaning too, probably most of the sourness is in the shank and well...
...if that don't work, give the "Ghosts be gone" treatment by GL Pease as ravkesef suggested.
If it is still stubborn, consider an ozone treatment:

http://www.walkerbriarworks.com/html/ozone.html
If you're handy, you could try and make your own ozone chamber,

like this ingenious device created by Woodsroad:

http://pipesmagazine.com/forums/topic/diy-ozone-chamber
Good luck and Godspeed with it.
I know how frustrating it can be, especially if it's a pipe you really like.

I have suffered through a good 25 bowls on one sour pipe I had and it finally sweetened up,

but that was more of a ghosting issue, so I dunno.

hawke

Lifer
Feb 1, 2014
Augusta, Ga
Its actually doing much better, in fact tolerable until the last near dottle state. However That Ozone contraption is awesome! My dad had a ozone set up on his now torn down rubber bottom fish pond. I'll have to see if he still has it and I can modify it.
Thank You MLC! (and woodstove)

Status
Not open for further replies.