PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

digitalshave

Might Stick Around
Jun 21, 2011
A week or so ago there was the article on the science or pipe smoking

in it was mentioned developing a sore teeth and mouth.
I have not been experiencing a sore mouth, but very sore teeth.

I am puffing as lightly as humanly possible.

I am brushing my teeth 3 tims a day

I wonder if anyone could provide some suggestions. :puffy:

digitalshave

Might Stick Around
Jun 21, 2011
Am smoking what I have been told is my B&M's version of 1Q and Squadron Leader

and CBB.

I only get to smoke 1 time a day and only clench pipe a few seconds, usually

hold it in my hand. It is a straight Dr. Grabow

fulton

Lurker
Mar 6, 2011
Saginaw,Michigan
The most convenient time for me to smoke is during my morning/evening commute to/from work. As such, I'm a *gasp* clencher. My teeth (jaw mostly) do occasionally get sore, but the best fix I have found are the rubber bits made for the end of the stem. They ease the pressure on your jaw by providing a soft, but firm, place to bite down. You can snag them online or from your local B&M for pennies.
Cheers

romeowood

Lifer
Jan 1, 2011
The Interwebs
When was your last dental checkup? Gingivitis can definitely be aggravated by imbibing smoke of any kind; your best answer will be found at your dentist. In the meantime, brush throughly and use a good mouthwash and follow it with a swig of peroxide.

igloo

Lifer
Jan 17, 2010
woodlands tx
I was thinking more along the lines of PG . Try the Squadron Leader for one week as it should have less PG than the CBB and the 1Q mixture . Or vice versa . Pick one for one week and stay with that blend . There are also alkaline levels in Burly that may be giving you trouble . If you can drink CokaCola all day and it does not bother your system you can probably smoke Virgina based blends easier than a Burly based blend . As it is higher up in the PH scale of things . :D

Jul 15, 2011
Might be that your teeth have sensitivity to hot and cold. Hot smoke doesnt bother my teeth, but I have gotten to the point that I cant have ice cream anymore. Even cold sodas and water make my teeth sore. Started using that Sensodyne toothpaste a few months ago and it has helped somewhat. Maybe you could look into that.

yuri66

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 17, 2010
I agree with Matchstick, it is most likely that your teeth are sensitive to teh hot smoke, I just had a Periadontist (SP) check up and he gave me all kinds of crap that hot smoke affects your teeth at the bone line, causing bone loss ans sesitivity, so you try and pay attention as to how hot you are smoking, it may help.

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
If you already have gum disease, you should reconsider smoking, especially if you know that it's aggravating an already bad situation.

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
Find a good dentist and follow his instructions to the letter for restoring your gums. This will probably involve a Water Pik, electric toothbrush, and a twice a day routine of use. I was amazed at the amount of restoration that took place, less pain, no bleeding, tighter teeth were the result. Once the gums are healthy again, try the pipe again.
I hate to encourage smoking but, in your case it would be the reward of a healthier mouth. So perhaps you've earned a bit of self-indulgence.

panamacharlie

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 13, 2016
I cleench a lot, but I use a light weight full bent that balances so well that it puts almost no pressure on my teeth.

mayfair70

Lifer
Sep 14, 2015
When my gums get sore, I drink an unsweetened instant tea strong. The tannins help a lot. Steeped tea leaf is not the same for this application. Another alternative is a big pinch of finely ground thyme, cloves or cinnamon. YMMV. And, oh yeah, see a dentist. :)

wasnsfisher

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 28, 2017
If I smoke too much, especially Lat, my mouth will become sore on roof and behind top front teeth. Not from clenching but from too much baccy itself

derekflint

Part of the Furniture Now
Nov 23, 2017
Sometimes I get sore teeth from eating nuts. Other times from nibbling on a good steak bone. Biting into a really hard apple can do it also..........

Status
Not open for further replies.