PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
In a week or so my wife and I land in Newark NJ, and on our way North want to visit a few sites that were featured in The Sopranos.
Has anyone done this, have suggestions on where to go or not to go?
I've ID'ed two places I'd like to see, the Bada Bing strip club, and the shop that Satriale's was based on.
Googling turns up mostly bus tours which we have no interest in doing.

fnord

Lifer
Dec 28, 2011
Topeka, KS
Satriale's would be the trip highlight for me.
I'll never forget that scene in Satriale's where the FBI agents were knocking back their sandwiches and feeling out Tony about a couple of questionable Occidentals. "Your help here won't be forgotten." Tony's response was something along the lines of "Hey, this is my country, too."
I know the mob made bank during WWII although I'm sure there was a vested interest in seeing their native homelands of Sicily, Corsica and Italy freed of Mussolini. I'd bet stupid money they kept the Eastern seaboard unions in check so supplies flowed toward Europe.
Anybody recommend some reading along that line?
Fnord

conlejm

Lifer
Mar 22, 2014
Anybody recommend some reading along that line?
Fnord, "The Devil Himself" by Eric Dezenhall is such a book.
"I'll talk to anybody, a priest, a bank manager, a gangster, the devil himself, if I can get the information I need. This is a war."
-- Lt. Commander Charles Radcliffe Haffenden, Naval Intelligence Unit, B-3

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
That's about it. I work in that area and travel Tony's route out of the city and into NJ that is shown in the opening sequence. I've been past the Satin Dolls (Bada-Bing) on 17 in NJ and stopped for a few pictures. I've never gone it, I've always traveled past in the morning (they were open I believe!). 17 is not a "bad" part of NJ but its not very nice either. Kearney, where Satriale's is located is OK, just another old, small NJ town.
I assume you found this site:

http://www.sopranosue.com/hudsonmap.htm
I'm always saddened heading South on the New Jersey Turnpike. Seeing the "Hyro-P-U" sign always made me smile. But they appear to be demo'ing all the buildings in that area. The sign had started to fall down and is now gone and a wall up beside the Turnpike (we don't want travelers to see that NJ blight!).

https://www.sopranos-locations.com/locations/old-hydro-pruf-factory/
One of my restaurants is in the "Alexander Hamilton" Travel Plaza, near exit 15. When Christopher was on the lam, he met someone and they sat in a car outside of the plaza, eating Roy Rogers food.
HBO once asked us if they could shoot a scene inside a travel plaza, but that required shutting down the plaza and the NJ Turnpike folks said "no". Too bad, that would have been interesting.
When were were opening these travel plaza locations and they were under construction, I had a "Soprano's" moment with the electricians "Supervisor". Each morning, a big guy of a particular ethic origin would roll up in a black Caddy. He was in slacks and a silk shirt, no work clothes. He had all the electricians time cards and would hand them out. Then, he would pull up a chair in the shade where he spent the day. At 4 o'clock, he would hand out time cards again for everyone to clock out. I asked one of the turnpike folks who he was and was told "don't ask", he supervises the electricians. I remarked that he doesn't seem to be an electrician. The said "yep". So, I heeded his advice and steered clear.
Have fun on your trip, urban NJ is an interesting place.
You might want to look up "JR Cigars", there are two in that area, one in Whippany just west of Newark and the other on 17.

papipeguy

Lifer
Jul 31, 2010
Bethlehem, Pa.
If you're really adventurous there's always the Bada-Bing club. It's called Satin Dolls on Route 17, Lodi, NJ. About 25 minutes from Newark Airport. Bring a fistful of $1.00 blls.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Thanks, Al and John. I already had "Bada Bing"—aka Satin Dolls— GPS'd and the little lady and I will arrive early evening for a few dances. Er, to watch same. I bet the backroom where Tony and the boys met is actually a sound stage in LA.
Satriale's I've read has been bulldozed. We don't want to go by Tony's house, as actual real people own it and live there.

papipeguy

Lifer
Jul 31, 2010
Bethlehem, Pa.
The Soprano's filmed at few scenes up the street from me at a quarry where they dumped a body (Bethlehem, Pa). Dutch Springs is the place. Big on scuba diving tests.
http://dutchsprings.com/

madox07

Lifer
Dec 12, 2016
jpmcwjr your lady is very open minded if she goes to you to a strip club for dances, be that even the infamous Badabing. Congrats to you !!! Personally if I ever make it to Jersey, I would have the board walk as my number one stop. Aside from the Sopranos, I also enjoyed the Board Walk Empire TV show, quite a lot!!!

innately

Lurker
May 6, 2017
I hate to admit it, but I'd all but forgotten The Sopranos. Such an epic period for television and for HBO. It really changed things for that network and made it "must have". For those without a subscription or who wanted to watch with friends, there was a local bar that had "Soprano's Night" on Sundays on their 80in screen. I miss those times!

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Well, the Bada Bing (Satin Dolls) was closed when we went by, but saw enough generic scenes of Northern Jersey to satisfy, plus quite a few meals in Italian restaurants.
The search for places led us also to some parks in Newark, plus the cathedral there. It's both enormous and beautiful. A gem, in fact.
Innately- You might enjoy rewatching the Sopranos, if you're like me, you forget enough so that it's interesting again.

Aug 14, 2012
The one place I would not go is Newark. I had a job there about 40 years ago. People got mugged in broad daylight, downtown. The mayor was so short you could be standing face to face with him and not see him. It happened to me. Probably got a short one because of the budget crisis. I doubt things have improved much.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Forty years ago I was traveling to Newark to call on The Prudential, one of my main accounts. It was all right, traveling in pairs in day light. Last month was just fine, my gal and me. The Cathedral is worth a visit. One of the best in the whole US. Not Winchester or St. Paul's or Notre Dame, etc, but still glorious.

cosmicbobo

Part of the Furniture Now
May 11, 2017
Love Sopranos, Boardwalk, and Vegas with Chiklis and Quaid.

Satriale's would be my main stop and maybe a trip by The Chairman of the Board's childhood home.
Al Capone made sure we had homogenized milk, cheep beer, and less gang violence on the streets.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
We've since started rewatching this series, and just finished Season 3. I don't remember a lot of the little sub-plots, so it is definitely interesting.
What is fascinating is that I've been working all over that area since the series since 2001 (show ended in '07). Watching each episode, I'm now pretty familiar with many of the outdoor shots, buildings and towns. The Soprano's location website is fun to check afterwards, to see if I guessed right.
One disappointment: In the most highly regraded series episode, called "The Pine Barrens" (directed by Steve Buscemi), I was disappointed to see that it most definitely wasn't shot in the NJ Pine Barrens. The locale looked like a beautiful park near Newburgh NY (mountains, elevation, forest pines and a LOT of snow). Sure enough, I nailed that one. It turns out NJ wouldn't let them film there as they thought the series was detrimental to Italians. (gee, you figure?) In that episode, they mention the restaurant company I work for, twice, and say something very disparaging about Dale E....
Some of the quips and one off lines are outstanding, particularly those from Paulie Walnuts. I didn't appreciate them on the first time viewing (nor remember many).
Also interesting, Chase is filming a Soprano's movie, which highlights Tony's fathers era, the early 60's (Junior, etc.), titled "The Many Saints of Newark".
https://www.irishtimes.com/culture/film/the-sopranos-to-make-a-comeback-in-a-big-screen-prequel-1.3421303

jazz

Part of the Furniture Now
Feb 17, 2014
UK
I've always liked this show and I'm currently working my way through it for the 2nd time. I'm about to start series 5. It's definitely one of the better TV shows out there and in my top 3 American shows. It comes in close behind The Wire.

3rdguy

Lifer
Aug 29, 2017
Iowa
Pine Barrens had some classic lines in it! Even for a stand alone episode it was one of my favorites. I've watched every season 3 times so far. Best ever IMO.

3rdguy

Lifer
Aug 29, 2017
Iowa
Sounds like a prequel is in the works.
http://variety.com/2018/film/news/sopranos-movie-prequel-david-chase-1202721680/

Status
Not open for further replies.