PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

didimauw

Staff member
Jul 28, 2013
Burlington WI
Going to buy a certain pipe from an online vendor, and it's out of stock. I sent an email regarding it, and was told there was no eta in the foreseeable future. Two days later, it's back in stock. Same vendor no longer shows my favorite tobacco in stock. Again send an email, was told, no, never again, ever. The next day, BAM, BACK IN STOCK. Wanted to buy a pipe Zippo, from them, two days ago, but none in stock. Signed up to notify me when in stock. Next day I get that email.
Any one have any insight too this way of vending?

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
I know some mail-order companies used to not carry inventory. Only procured something when an order was in hand. This practice was very prevalent in the photo equipment business years ago. Moneys were not tied up in inventory in this manner. And, square footage costs minimal.
I should add that this practice was only possible in large cities which had wholesalers nearby. It was a practice prevalent in New York City. A customer a continent away had to be very careful so as to not end up with "gray market" product and no warranty. I always demanded the serial number of the item at the time of purchase.
I'm guessing you are dealing with a vendor interested in keeping costs to a minimum. Still, I have no idea how such a practice could work in the tobacco industry. Not sure a retailer could purchase only one or two tins of a blend.

Status
Not open for further replies.