PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

pipetrucker

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 13, 2010
Following the white rabbit
Yesterday I tried to deliver a firetruck at the port in Baltimore. The VIN on the truck didn't match the paperwork so they refused it.
After a few phone calls I was emailed some new paperwork. It was also wrong. This morning I was emailed new paperwork again. It had the VIN that matched. Cool. I got back to the port and was just about to deliver when I received a call telling me to not deliver the truck.
Turns out the original paperwork had the right VIN and the one on the truck is wrong. Huh? How does that happen? I am now being paid to stay in a hotel and wait for them to over-night a new data plate for the truck and then hire someone to change it out for the old one.
At first they thought I was going to change the plate but I refused to take responsibility for changing out a plate that is rivited to the door. The trucks cost over a million bucks eaxh, no way am I doing something like that. They can hire a professional for that.

mluyckx

Lifer
Dec 5, 2011
Texas
As long it's a nice hotel with good food and a hot tub, things could be worse. ;-) But sorry about all the hassle.
Wise move on not messing with the plate. It is actually illegal for anyone but the manufacturer to change the VIN on a vehicle, or so I was told at least when I had an issue with a used clunker I bought for one of my kids.
Good luck.

spartan

Lifer
Aug 14, 2011
A simple number mistake can cause big trouble down the road.
I hope someone got chewed out for being stupid.
Sorry bout your troubles Pipetrucker. Keep us updated about life on the road. Always a pleasure to read your thoughts.
Happy smoking. :puffy:

marmal4de

Lifer
Feb 20, 2011
Richmond, BC
Well its pretty cool you're getting paid to sit around. Smoke a few bowls and relax

I used to think the exact same way when I was paid hourly, now I run around like an idiot trying to get things done as efficiently as possible. Bummer on the truck Mason!

dervis

Lifer
Jan 30, 2012
Hazel Green AL
I dont care how nice, or free a hotel stay is, it gets to the point where they all suck. Last thing I wanted when working on the road is to be held up from that home trip 1 min longer than needed. Hope it works out.

pipetrucker

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 13, 2010
Following the white rabbit
Well, today was interesting. The hotel desk clerk had told me that packages normally arrived by 11:00am. I had checked at 8:00am and it wasn't there so I just hungout in my room until 11:00 andchecked again. Still no package.
I called the office and when they ran the tracking number supplied by the customer they fiund it was showing deliver just before 8:00 that morning along with the name of the person who had signed for it.
I again spoke with the desk clerk who said they didn't have someone by that name working there. He then thought about the Best Western across the street and called them.
Yep, it had been delivered there.
I finally got the package and opened it. It contained the VIN plates aswell as some brand new tools, including a cordless drill. A call to the office confirmed the customer wanted me to change the plates, and had sent an email contaiing authorization to do so, full and detailed instructions, and a statement releasing myself and the company from all liability for any damages.
Well, that email would hold up in any court so I had them forward a copy to me for my own records.
I charged the drill for an hour or so and then went over to the port to get to work...in the rain of course.
Short story long, I got the job done abd the truck delivered with no damages.
Unfortunately, it was then too late to pick up my next load so I am back in a room for the night and am currently at the local bar/restaurant having an adult beverage and likely to order either the crab cakes or the crab chowder, I haven't yet decided.

Status
Not open for further replies.