Sometimes the Pipe Decides

(18 posts)
  • Started 3 years ago by johnbarleycorn
  • Latest reply from warren
  1. johnbarleycorn

johnbarleycorn

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

[url=http://pipesmagazine.com/members/johnbarleycorn/album/picture/18965][/url]
    Bought this Mimmo poker with every intention of dedicating it to English blends. Stuck to the plan for several weeks. But today after finishing a bowl of Squadron Leader I decided to stuff a flake of Orlik Golden Sliced in it. I think the pipe is trying to tell me something. Apparently she really likes VaPers! At the very least it will be a multi use pipe if not strictly Virginia blends. Sometimes the pipe knows best.

And little Sir John and the nut brown bowl proved the strongest man at last
    Posted 3 years ago #
  2. mackeson

mackeson

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Yeah sometimes pipes happen when you're busy making plans. At least I think that's the expression.
    I've had that happen quite a few times, and it's simultaneously a bit frustrating and rewarding. Sometimes a blend ends up just singing in unexpected ways.

"Once you go down the Lakeland path, forever will it dominate your destiny."
    -Apologies to Master Yoda
    Posted 3 years ago #
  3. User has not uploaded an avatar

Anonymous

Unregistered

Login to Send PM

Trust the pipe.

Pipes are female. Give 'em what they like, make 'em happy, and they make you happy.

Posted 3 years ago #
  4. jefff

jefff

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

For me the pipe always decides. I have a routine with every new pipe. I run through them and find the one it likes best

Posted 3 years ago #
  5. hawky454

hawky454

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

You're absolutely right, which is why I usually start with a VA and work my way through the genres.

Posted 3 years ago #
  6. jefff

jefff

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

As do I. Va's , Latakia blends, then VaPers. Sometimes a pipe runs through them all. Sometimes a pipe stops me cold.

Posted 3 years ago #
  7. deathmetal

deathmetal

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Pipes are female. Give 'em what they like, make 'em happy, and they make you happy.

Profound.

"My own experience has been that the tools I need for my trade are paper, tobacco, food, and a little whiskey." -- William Faulkner

The Metal Mixtures
    Posted 3 years ago #
  8. mso489

mso489

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Sometimes nothing burns and nothing tastes great. A pipe will be phenomenal one time and meh the next, and then back to great. Same with tobaccos.

Posted 3 years ago #
  9. ophiuchus

ophiuchus

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Some are mostly for the Latakia forward and some are mostly for aromatics ... I'm really lazy about keeping track of pipe-to-blend-type dedication. I mostly smoke everything in anything, with chamber depth and diameter acting minimally in determining what burns in what. Over time, over many glowing bowls, many ghosts and de-ghosts, the pipes generally let me know what they liked burning in 'em. Over time, the pipes had me pretty well trained.

Posted 3 years ago #
  10. cigrmaster

cigrmaster

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Always start with Va,Vaper and Vabur flakes. If any of those work stick with them. If none of those work, then try a high quality aromatic, if that doesn't work then try an English blend. Latakia is the devils weed, every tin should be marked with a 666.

Harris
    Posted 3 years ago #
  11. iamn8

Nate

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Harris, The Devil actually smoke cloves. I learned this over the course of a bad acid trip in college. I'm certain.

Nate @ Moody AL
    Posted 3 years ago #
  12. iamn8

Nate

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

The very fact that my pipes have found there way into my hands means they've made poor life choices and can't be trusted any further. My pipes are no longer allowed to decide anything.

Posted 3 years ago #
  13. User has not uploaded an avatar

Anonymous

Unregistered

Login to Send PM

The pipe always decides. That's why one must conduct various tests if the originally intended type of tobacco does not work out.

My BriarWorks really sucked with aros, which I destined it for originally as the bowl size wa ideal. Then, yesterday, I packed it with some London Mixture. Man; now, she smokes just great.

Posted 3 years ago #
  14. disinformatique

The Pipe Monk

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

If OGS is a VaPer then I'm the Prince of Wales (it's a VaBur at best). Pokers are really nice to smoke VaPers and VaBurs though.

Chris

Albert Einstein was once quoted as saying, “I believe that pipe smoking contributes to a somewhat calm and objective judgment in all human affairs.” One of the reasons behind this statement is that pipe smoking is meant to be a slow leisurely activity. It takes patience to smoke a pipe. Unlike cigarettes and cigars, there is a certain amount of technique to smoking a pipe. Where cigars and cigarettes can just be picked up, lit and puffed on, pipes require the development of a technique in order to get the best smoking experience.
    Posted 3 years ago #
  15. warren

warren

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

It's an old dead piece of wood. You're the one who decides whether or not you like a particular pipe and tobacco blend pairing. Give yourselves some credit!

A man without a shillelagh is a man without an expedient.
    Posted 3 years ago #
  16. jpmcwjr

jpmcwjr

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

And further to Warren's admonition, I say, train your pipes! Don't let them run wild digging up plants or peeing on carpets, etc. Show them who's boss, in a loving but firm manner.

I know that you believe you understood what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.
    Posted 3 years ago #
  17. johnbarleycorn

johnbarleycorn

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Well it's getting along very well with Capstan blue flake at the moment so one or the other of is obviously learning something.

Posted 3 years ago #
  18. warren

warren

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Having some Celtic blood in me veins means I should relate more to trees, alive or dead, and believe they have mystical powers. I believe that gene skipped a generation.

Posted 3 years ago #

You must log in to post.

Back To Top  | Back to Forum Home Page

Members Online Now
   jaytex969, husky, gandalfspipe, cshubhra, mawp, gerryp, verporchting, shayde, pipingfool, alaskanpiper, dorsetpiper