PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

bigboi

Lifer
Nov 12, 2012
I am still a pipe novice compared to others here, but a while back when I was venturing into the wonderful world of Virginia blends and asking about flakes one of the great forum members here sent me some samples of different blends to try out. For that I am very thankful. I have found some of my favorite tobacco's from that. FMOTT, OGS, PS LBF. I also received a small sample of Haddo's Delight. The first time I tried it it knocked me down with a big vitamin N hit. I stayed away from it a good 4 months. I just recently came back to it and man I am enjoying it now. It is a wonderful concoction of figs, raisins, spicy, and a bit of brandy (at least to my taste buds). My question is what would be something similar that may to this blend? Or does this blend just kind of stand out on its own?

jgriff

Can't Leave
Feb 20, 2013
I haven't heard of too much exactly like it but I've heard that C&D Exhausted Rooster is somewhat similar. I haven't broken into my tin of it yet so I can't comment from personal experience. However, I don't hear anything about it having less Vitamin N though.

chopsie

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 3, 2012
While its not that similar you might want to try Peterson Irish Oak, its pretty strong in nicotine though.

Jul 15, 2011
IIRC, GL Pease Cumberland has roughly the same ingredients as Haddos, but Im sure they probably in different proportions. I could be wrong on this, so if someone has any other experience with this blend please let me know. I personally have never smoked anything that has that same sort of fig laden, almost red wine type flavor. Hopefully you find something that will fit the bill.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
To my mind there is nothing like Haddo's, it is a very unique blend. I have smoked a lot of Vapors over the years and have not found anything like it. I wish I could smoke it but my affliction with red virginia's precludes me from enjoying this great blend. There are other great Vapors on the market such as Escudo, SG St James Flake, Solani 633 and Dunhill Deluxe Navy Rolls, but they are very different than Haddo's to my taste. I say load up on Haddo's and enjoy it.

salewis

Can't Leave
Jan 27, 2011
You may want to try McClelland's, who unquestionably offer the foremost Virginia blends, Mature Virginia No. 27. I have smoked Haddo's Delight and found it rather bland since it has all "natural tobaccos". If you want a nice tobacco that will provide the fruity taste that you identify with Haddo's try Erinmore Flake for a treat.

bigboi

Lifer
Nov 12, 2012
Thanks everyone. I think I may try out some of that Rooster and possibly Prairewind. I do have some tins of Erinmore Flake that are waiting to be opened so, they may be opened sooner than later!!

ciderguy

Can't Leave
May 30, 2013
I've heard that Russ Ouellette's Frenchy's Sunza Bitches is similar to a toned down HD. It is a boozy Va/Per blend, but the booze in Frency's is bourbon.
I'm surprised to hear that HD tastes like Cairo. I love Cairo smoked very slow, but I find the dash of perique in the Cairo is very peppery and HD is always described as showing more of the fig and raisin flavor from the perique.

Perique

Lifer
Sep 20, 2011
www.tobaccoreviews.com
As Harris said, there's nothing quite like Haddo's. The closest vaguely similar blend is, IMO, Cairo. More similar in tin note than taste, but in a closely adjacent ballpark.

Status
Not open for further replies.