PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

psychpipes

Can't Leave
Sep 4, 2013
Nature Coast of Florida
Hey Gents,
The wife bought me a tin of McClelland's Dark Star for Christmas and I loved it. Took me a while to figure out how to prep it right as it is very damp. I basically had the tin open for a week and jarred it. I then cube cut some of the broken flakes, and then set the cubes out to dry for an hour before smoking. I was wondering what blends might be similar in flavor to it, but maybe with less prep work involved. Any recommendations?

cobguy

Lifer
Oct 18, 2013
Similar, but also requiring some prep work, is McClelland's #2035 Dark Navy Flake.
Not the same, but a great smoke that requires much less prep, is McClelland's Blackwoods Flake.
These, along with McClelland's Va/Per St. James Woods, are some of my favorites.
Oh ... and Christmas Cheer, #5100 Red Cake, and , and ... Lol. :puffy:

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Ya know, sometimes the additonal prep work adds to the smoke, a little more

ritual, a little more relationship with the actual leaf and a little more anticipation.

It's like a plug. It may not be so good for when you are in a hurry, and I can

appreciate that. But you can prep it some time when you aren't as hurried, and

leave it out to dry a little more, and smoke it any time, even when you are pressed

for time. If you like Dark Star -- and it sounds delicious to me -- keep it in your

rotation.

psychpipes

Can't Leave
Sep 4, 2013
Nature Coast of Florida
@mso489 I hear you. I think the whole experience was nice. Wife went out with some friends, so I had some spare time to just sit and smoke. Watched a film, had a nice cup of coffee, and just sipped my pipe for around an hour and a half. Dark Star wont be leaving my rotation, but it sure would be nice to smoke something like it under tighter time constraints.
@cobguy Thanks for the suggestions buddy.

bigpond

Lifer
Oct 14, 2014
Butera Dark Stoved shares the same flavor profile but is more amenable to being smoked. I've heard that Royal Cajun Dark is similar but I've no experience with it.

Status
Not open for further replies.