Something I Once Saw That I Can No Longer Find That Helps Light a Pipe?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

New Cigars

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

xilefregnu

Lurker
Feb 2, 2019
Greetings,

In the earliest days of my pipe smoking career I remember seeing something on eBay from more than one seller that I no longer can find through various searches. The problem I was trying to solve was trying to light my pipe and having my wooden matches burn down too quickly. I saw a product that was a natural jute or cordage made specifically to burn slowly and consistently to allow a non-toxic method of lighting a pipe. You first lit it and then performed your pipe lighting with it.
Does this ring any bells with anyone?
Thanks in advance!

xilefregnu

Lurker
Feb 2, 2019
Since I'm already asking questions, I'm also wondering if there is a better brand of wood matches than the ones available at the supermarket?
Thanks!

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Hemp wick?
ital_lighter_wick_1.jpg

xilefregnu

Lurker
Feb 2, 2019
Hemp wick it is!
You guys "light my fire", appreciate it.
If anyone employs these two products and has opinions about them, I'd love to read your thoughts...

bnichols23

Lifer
Mar 13, 2018
SC Piedmont
old fashioned kitchen matche
You lies, Jud; you know what "old fashioned" means as well as we do. }:) Brick, concrete, seat of pants, zipper (not recommended), thumbnail (same), self-righteous anti-smoker's nose, etc. "Strike on box"? -snort- But yeah, I know; the good stuff's hard to get because people are stupid. :(
Bill

haparnold

Lifer
Aug 9, 2018
Colorado Springs, CO
50-king-size-matchbooks-presidential_1_11bd488ba4834e0827e71086ed00cfcb.jpg

I exclusively used these in my early days. I got to learn how to smoke, and do my presidential trivia all at once! However, they're far inferior to the stiff wooden matches.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Unsolicited observation: If you have trouble lighting a pipe with even a paper match, your tobacco needs to be dried much more. Or you are doing it differently than others.
Opinion on hemp lighters? For me, a total waste of time and resources.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Maybe a silly question...what makes these better than say, these guys?
Swan Vesta matches are sulphurless. No stink to perfume your blend, and they will light against almost any surface, unlike most matches. They are better manufactured than the typical Diamond kitchen match. Both will work in a pinch, though the Swan Vesta will always easily light. They are also known as "The original Smokers match". No wonder the UK is aiming to ban them.

dcon

Lifer
Mar 16, 2019
Jacksonville, FL
+1 to sable on the Swan Vesta. My laziness usually dictates that, I grab one of many lighters. SV were/are the best match, when only a match will do.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
xil', I guess every smoker has his or her own style. I usually use wooden matches of standard length to light a pipe, and they give plenty of time to get an ember going. My point isn't a critique of your lighting technique; you prefer more time, I understand. But when you are stuck with the standard shorter match, and you want to experiment just for the sport, I think you will find you can get all the light you need. Get it to the bowl right away,, and draw the flame into the packed tobacco gently, and you'll find it works well. You may still want the wick or a lighter, but it would be a back-up plan.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
What mso says. Paper matches should do the trick most of the time. I prefer the matches - [wooden]- that you get at the pipe shop or good restaurants and bars, usually promo pieces with names and logos on the box. But paper matches take up less space and are always good for backup if your favorite lighter isn't handy.
Swan Vestas are the Rolls Royces of the match world, but I'm too cheap to buy the extra special stuff when I can get for free almost as good.

redglow

Lifer
Jan 7, 2019
Michigan
I keep wooden matches available. And I don’t mind using them. But, convenience usually leads me to using my butane lighter.
Just too easy....... :puffy:

May 8, 2017
Sugar Grove, IL, USA
I like hemp wick lighters and keep one in my pipe bag alongside my wooden matches and my Old Boy lighter. Hemp wick is a bit fiddly, but undeniably effective, though hardly a panacea. My go-to is a good wooden match of the type often given away at cigar shops. They're easy and effective and the most effective way to get a good even light, particularly with a freshly filled pipe.

pufferfish

Might Stick Around
Apr 21, 2019
I've used the extra long fire lighting matches. They certainly last a good long time and give me a greater chance of lighting well. Although I do have a couple of lighters I prefer matches when I can get em.

Status
Not open for further replies.