PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

redbeard

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 2, 2013
I like to cruise the bay every once in a while just to torture myself, I'm sure I'm not the only one... Am I? Anyways, I actually ran across something in my price range and something I have wanted for some time. A square shanked vintage MM cob (this happened to be unsmoked) for only 2.99! Well, I didn't think I would get it at that price but I sure tried anyways and won!
Well, it arrived today and un-shockingly it was packaged in a thin plastic shipping envelope with what looked like a thin plastic bag you find in the veggie section at the grocery store as padding. Really... But everyone has their horror stories of how their acquisitions have been packaged and that's not what this post is about.
When I opened it I found it how it is shown in the bottom right picture below. The shank removed from the bowl and I gasped thinking it was broken. But this seems intentional for shipping purposes possibly. There is damage to one side of the hole it is inserted into also, possibly affecting the seal. I haven't cleaned it so I haven't checked if it is going to be a problem.
But is this normal? Were they not glued like the new ones? Also, I thought vintage MMs were supposed to be bigger. This one is quite small, I can barely fit my pinky finger into it! Any info is appreciated. Thanks for looking.

thesmokingtexan

Can't Leave
Jul 11, 2014
That is nice looking someone said some where in a post that the glue is just a type of Elmer's glue . U could try that

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I like to buy my MM cobs in person, even when I pay a buck or two more. Glue it together and give it a try.

It will probably do fine.

eightywon

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 4, 2014
Elmer's wood glue. Dries the same color as the glue they use. I'm thinking it's one and the same.

txbeerboy

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 5, 2013
A good flammable glue will hold it and it might just help break it in on the first bowl !!! :rofl: Just kidding

lonestar

Lifer
Mar 22, 2011
Edgewood Texas
Yep, just shove it back in there and put some Elmers glue on the outside of the bowl. Do not use superglue, it can give off toxic gas when it gets too hot.

Status
Not open for further replies.