PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

georged

Lifer
Mar 7, 2013
How many human activities that cost money can NOT be improved by immense wealth? Not many. If you enjoy food, having Bill Gates' resources would definitely change things, from a staff of private chefs to access to rare, luxury ingredients, to never eating at anything but Michelin 3-star restaurants for the rest of your life.
Wine, liquor, cars, boats, travel, you name it. Money can definitely assist in providing a superior experience. Even our tobacco cousin the cigar benefits from a thick wallet. Two $30 sticks a day for a year is $22K, for example.
But pipe smoking? With the exception of being able to warehouse rare collectable pipes and ancient cellared tobacco (which isn't even guaranteed to be smokable, never mind good), having 80 billion dollars wouldn't change a thing.
If one of us won the Powerball lottery tomorrow, in other words, we might soon live in a more exotic place, drive a nicer car, and eat a lot of truffles and caviar, but the selection on your tobacco shelf would change little if at all. The world's best pipe tobacco is so (relatively) inexpensive that it is available to virtually everyone.
How cool is that?

voorhees

Lifer
May 30, 2012
Gonadistan
Pipe smokers certainly have a more level playing field. Even the most elusive tobaccos are within reach and relatively cheap to cigars. Cigars are all over the charts in price, case in point I saw a Gurkha His Majesty Reserve for $750 each. And Gurkha are not that good IMO.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Some of our brothers on Forums defy this logic with their incredible collections of tobacco pipes in every viable shape and material, by some of the most distinguished crafts people, but on principle, I agree wholeheartedly. I have a few pricier pipes, but I often sing the praises of what can be had, with some study and serious shopping, in a pipe bought for $30, $50, or $70. I hate to say the tobacco is a tremendous bargain, for fear the tax people will hear me, but comparatively, it is.

Jan 8, 2013
Oh yes.... If I were a billionaire, I can think of a few blenders I would employ. As well as pipe carvers! But seriously, I think George is for the most part spot on. You don't need to have much wealth to enjoy this hobby. Most pipe tobacco is pretty easily accessible. I have a pretty modest income. Ok I'll just say I'm pretty poor. Now don't get me wrong, I have a roof and four walls that I'm renting, and I'm eating every day... sometimes twice lol! Really though, just a couple years ago I was seriously struggling. I remember living off of a can of beans a day. I'm still not doing great. But I've got an assortment of tobacco, and a few pipes. In fact I just received one a few weeks ago and I recently purchased another that should be in the mail tomorrow. Tobacco for the most part is pretty affordable, and it will last a while. So even someone with pretty humble income can stock up on tobacco in a short amount of time. One only needs a few pipes. And depending on your income you might only have a couple of cobs. Most of my briars, I really had to save up for. Or I was able to use some income tax return. Since getting promoted, I have been able to use a bonus once or twice. I still do not have much income left over after rent and such, but I'm a strong believer in doing something nice for yourself every once in a while. You have to reward yourself... it makes the daily grind a bit more worth it. It makes you feel better about things, and makes life more enjoyable. For me it's pipes or pipe related things. Of course, if you are able, I'm sure it does make the hobby even more enjoyable if you can collect a large number of artisan pipes and stock up on some of those high priced hard to find tobaccos. But this hobby can be enjoyed just as easily by us lower income folks as it is for some of you higher income folks. I don't believe the wealthier pipers shun the lower income pipers either. Oh sure there might be a few. Even with pipers, sometimes people are just... well, people. And I'm sure that goes both ways. But most it seems that frequent the forum are good people who like to share their love for this hobby with each other regardless of social or financial class. In fact, I've been gifted a nice pipe or two. Of course I'm still waiting for someone to gift me a Tom Eltang (it will happen if I rub my belly and pat my head and click my ruby slippers together).... just kidding.
Honestly, I look at it like this.... In a little over two years, I've filled up a 12 pipe rack and I will probably have to get another rack, at least a 5 or 6 just to make sure I have a place to put the pipes I'll probably acquire in the next year or so. I will probably have to find another place in this little home to start storing my tobacco. And I don't make much money at all. Anybody making enough of a living to have a little left over after bills and groceries can afford this hobby enough to enjoy it and enjoy it immensely. And at the same time rub elbows with those who drive a high priced sports car and smoke 1000 dollar artisan pipes.

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
My smoking room would probably change, in fact I'd add two. One would be in Roundstone, Ie. and the other in Mystic Seaport, Ct. And if the pilot objected to my smoking on the jet . . . I'd get another pilot for G650.
Oh, and I'd hire some poor subaltern to color my new meerschaums.

jorgesoler

Can't Leave
Dec 3, 2014
That is one of the beauties of capitalism. However, if I was a millionaire, I'd be smoking De Luxe Navy Rolls every day. I disagree with you in that my tobacco shelf would change very little.

jkrug

Lifer
Jan 23, 2015
What a great perspective on this issue and oh so true!

I suddenly feel just a little richer. :puffy:

mephistopheles

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 14, 2014
...but the selection on your tobacco shelf would change little if at all.
Or we'd have access to far more tobaccos, discover new flavors that we prefer, and have the potential to make sweeping changes to what we regularly stock all at a significantly faster rate, and with significantly more ease of access than someone with a lesser income.
This is an accessible hobby with a little bit of income, but like anything else, money provides the opportunity to experience new and potentially greater things. Everyone is limited by how much they have, and in that sense we are limited in what we can experience. It would be foolish to think that the experiences of a smoker with a thin wallet would parallel the experiences of a smoker with a much thicker one. That goes for damn near everything in a capitalist market and always will, pipes and pipe tobacco included.

jackswilling

Lifer
Feb 15, 2015
That is a cheery thought. Prices are good and selection is incredible, even if it is the same varieties of tobaccos blended/sold under different names. It is all good, I agree.

beefeater33

Lifer
Apr 14, 2014
Central Ohio
I'm not usually a negative person, but I feel the "times are a changin'" concerning pipe tobacco. Somethings going on behind the scenes..... E-bay is getting super-wiggy on the pipe tobacco listings, but I can buy "vintage" Camel cigarettes all day long..............I'm stocking up when I can, as has said before, these prices will only increase...The cool thing is, pipe tobacco gets better with age........... :D

Mar 1, 2014
If I want to have the experiences of a pipe smoker with a large budget I just read Peck's cellar list.

(Which is not to say that reading a list is the same as having tried everything, but honestly there isn't as much variety in the large cellars as some might expect.)

forest7

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 8, 2014
My budget for tobacco is $100 and $150 for pipes per year.

I do smoke 3-4 bowls every day and most tobacco is PS LBF.

By he way in my town cigarette cost $13 per pack.

shanelktown

Lifer
Feb 10, 2015
I think as far as pipe tobacco I agree but if I had more money I would have a bigger collection of more expensive pipes and also consignment tins that are offered at high prices I would be able to pull the trigger on these. All in all a good perspective on this hobby.

Mar 30, 2014
wv
That's the beauty of our hobby.
From $10 cobs to $10K Dunhill's, from Einstein to Emo, from Prince Albert to Penzance, There is a place at the table for everyone.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
With riches, I would hit Bruce Weaver up for a seven day matching set, and probably the same with Nanna Ivarsson, but little would change with my cellar selection. Excellent topic!

Status
Not open for further replies.