Something Close to McClellands Orientals?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

Drucquers Banner

Status
Not open for further replies.

jeff540

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 25, 2016
Southwest Virginia
I did some searching before posting this, but I'm a forum lurker and newbie. McClelland was my favorite producer since I started the pipe over 20-years ago, and I was mainly a B&M customer. I had no idea they were going to close until after it was too late. One of my favorite non-flake blends was "Drama Reserve." It had a beautiful natural sweetness I attributed to the oriental component. I noticed similar sweetness in Rattray's Red Rap, but I'm not a regular latakia smoker.
Can the community recommend me something similar to this beloved blend?
Thanks!

Jeff

Jun 27, 2016
Rich VA Ribbon is kind of like Drama Reserve, but without what makes Drama Reserve what it is. That's probably the closest in my drawer.

lazar

Can't Leave
May 5, 2015
In short, no I don't think there's anything similar out there. The Va/Or genre is pretty limited to begin with, and McClelland had a unique way of processing their leaf. C&D and Pease have Va/Ors, but they won't be much like McC at all. I'm curious about Robert Lewis Orcilla Mixture, but have no personal experience with it so can't really recommend. Hopefully others will have suggestions.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Yeah, it's best to have fond memories. McClelland's blends were very unique, and finding replacements really isn't going to happen. Best to find other tobaccos to fall in love with.

Status
Not open for further replies.