PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jul 15, 2011
Instead of posting the reviews for all the tobaccos that I have tried recently, I decided to hit up luxurytobaccoreviews.com and make an account. I have submitted several reviews for that site, and I wanted to share the links to you guys to where you can read those reviews. I figured if I did it that way, you guys could skip to the review you wanted to read about instead of having to go through all of them. So, without further ado, here are some reviews for your reading pleasure and consideration:
Hearth and Home: AJs Vaper
MacBaren Golden Extra
Cornell and Diehl Mississippi Mud
Cornell and Diehl Pirate Kake
I am also going to dig up other reviews that I have posted for the forum and paste them into LTR.com, and will also be posting new reviews as I try new tobaccos. Let me know what you guys think!

Jul 15, 2011
For anyone who read the Pirate Kake review: Does anyone else have this problem with this blend? Am I doing something wrong? This is the first Krumble Kake tobacco that I have tried, and it seems like no matter what I do the burning characteristics are always a little off. Anyone who can think of a rememedy for this, please let me know.

schmitzbitz

Lifer
Jan 13, 2011
Port Coquitlam, B.C.
Entertaining reads Pipe Novelist; to try and answer your questions re: crumble cakes, here is what I do:
I start off by physically slicing a "flake" off of the cake, against the grain of the tobacco. This will often crumble some as I cut it, and won't look like it was produced by a tobacconists guillotine, but so be it.

I then rub this out / break up the bits until it is fully rubbed, and allow it to sit for awhile (to allow any excess moisture to dissipate).

I then grab up the biggest chunks, gravity loading these into my bowl first. I then reach for the medium sized chunks, simply dropping them on-top. Finally, I'll pour any remaining shards and dust onto the very top of the bowl, and go.

I find that this works best in pipes with smaller tobacco chambers, although with most crumble-cake I've encountered this is beneficial, as they are often both potent in flavour and nicotine.
While this method does require more relights than a fine-cut ribbon, it doesn't require nearly as many as say, a burley cube. Of course, YMMV.

Jul 15, 2011
While this method does require more relights than a fine-cut ribbon, it doesn't require nearly as many as say, a burley cube. Of course, YMMV.
Thanks for the heads up schmitzbitz. I will definitely have to give this a shot. Pirate Kake is a good smoke for when I have to have that latakia fix, but I have been so put off by the burning characteristics that I just haven't wanted to smoke it after the first few bowls, but I will have to give this a shot. Thanks a bunch for your advice and kind words. Means a lot coming from the review guru himself!

Status
Not open for further replies.