PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

jamespworth

Might Stick Around
Mar 13, 2012
Good evening, or good what time of day it is where you all are
I'm looking for some tobacco suggestions I have only found one I really enjoy with is Mick Mcquaid plug, messed around with aromatics and I like them in small quantities but there just not hitting the spot.
I Like the flavour of the plug and could probably smoke it exclusively but feel I owe it to myself to broaden my horizons. If any of you have enjoyed MMP and could recommend Tobacco of a similar vein that I will be able to get my hands on in UK please share your knowledge
Any advise much appreciated.

Strike Anywhere

Can't Leave
Nov 9, 2011
Central United States
I'm not saying it's similar, but I suppose you could say it is a relative. Have you tried Erinmore? Some prefer the flake over the mixture (and vice versa) so you might want to try both. We can't get Mick McQuaid plug over here, but you can find Erinmore at almost every tobacconist.

jamespworth

Might Stick Around
Mar 13, 2012
No I haven't tried it but doing a quick search I see I can get that so will put that on my list. Also see I can get a 25g pouch of that so worth a try.

jamespworth

Might Stick Around
Mar 13, 2012
Bit dubious about going down the shotgun route drennan I want to try a wide range but just need to narrow down a rough guide to what I like first or be left with tins of unsmoked tobacco

jamespworth

Might Stick Around
Mar 13, 2012
Saying that just reading some reviews on there and very tempted by cornell diehl bayou morning so might order some of that thanks drennan

moonman

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 23, 2014
I am an English lover myself, very fond of Latakia forward blends. Have you tried any GL Pease tobacco?
I am very fond of their Gaslight plug which is an English and their Jackknife plug which is a Virginia/Burley...both are excellent. Gaslight is my favorite.
Also very fond of Seattle Pipe Club Plum Pudding. One of these might be a good choice.

Strike Anywhere

Can't Leave
Nov 9, 2011
Central United States
Folks, he's in the UK so C&D, GLP, McClelland, etc. are going to be tough for him to get his hands on. Distribution is getting better, but he's about as likely to come across some of those as you are Condor Ready-Rubbed at your local gas station here in the US.
With all due respect, mild and burley aren't exactly words that go together. Burley is used to give blends a more earthy taste, body, and nicotine. The best bet would be VA/burley blends with some cavendish. Mac Baren blends should be easy to find in the UK. "Connoisseurs" tend to look down their nose at Mac Baren blends, but I love them and rate several highly. Since you don't seem to have trouble with flakes, I would try to find Mac Baren Navy Flake. Burley, VA, and cavendish. It's a great smoke. Mac Baren Mixture Scottish should be easy to find over there too. It's got something like 37 tobaccos in it. It's a great mild, slightly sweet smoke, but not overly flavored. Mac Baren Roll Cake, Dark Twist, and Club Blend are also popular (and very similar blends) -- round "coins" of tobacco. I think Roll Cake has the most burley of the three, but don't hold me to that. Just a piece of advice with Mac Baren tobaccos, don't puff too fast. I know we say that all the time, but they will bite you if not smoked properly.
If you're looking for something with a more noticeable added flavor/flavour try Sam Gawith's Kendal Cream Flake. VA and burley with a special flavoring that makes it very creamy, not sweet and fruity. It's one I really enjoy, but don't smoke it for breakfast or on an empty stomach. It's not super strong, but it can surprise you if you've never smoked it before.
Keeping with a bit of flavoring, Gawith Hoggarth & Co. Bob's Chocolate Flake is great if you're okay with a bit of Latakia. It might have a slight taste of soap/flowers/lavendar at the beginning, but I urge you to smoke 2-3 bowls all the way through before you make a lasting judgement.

jamespworth

Might Stick Around
Mar 13, 2012
Thats great appreciate the advise, yeah probably should of said smooth rather than mild I do enjoy a strong flavour but not too much nicotine. And would like to try the GL but as TAB said I can't seem to find anywhere that will send over here.

Perique

Lifer
Sep 20, 2011
www.tobaccoreviews.com
Is there any mildish Burley tobacco any one would recommend?
Try Hearth & Home's Classic Burley Kake, available from Pipes&cigars.com. Also, from the same source, I would highly recommend Angler's Dream.
Then there are always the Mac Baren classics: Burley London Blend and Golden Extra.

Jul 12, 2011
There is no finer Burley IMHO than Solani - 656: Aged Burley Flake ( watch out for the Nic, Burley is very strong in this area ). Pure enjoyment with this one in the AM w/side of strong coffee ~ I have not tried MMP, but having looked it up I think I will now :puffy:
You might also enjoy a nice VaBur blend; I really enjoy Peterson's University Flake ( again the Nic is higher in this blend for some, for me it just hits the spot ) I woke this morning craving this blend and just pulled a 1yr old tin from the cellar. I have a few flake getting some air for a good afternoon smoke on the hammock :D
This spins off into the question of why would I need to have a tobacco cellar? Well, I can wake up any day of the week, have a taste for "something", walk into my cellar and "find it" :worship:

Status
Not open for further replies.