PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

newbroom

Lifer
Jul 11, 2014
Florida
Without naming names, I just did the math on one of our sponsors recent sale on some tobacco and found that you can save $.05 per ounce if you buy it in one lb. increments. That's a whopping $ 0.80 off the lb. !

As they say: "such a deal"

newbroom

Lifer
Jul 11, 2014
Florida
It's almost an insult to one's consumer intelligence.

For instance, and I won't go into all the reasons I went to the local wal mart this afternoon, but I did.

I got some butter. Same butter in a two pack was like 50 cents more than buying them individually. We're talking about a pound of butter, so a two pack isn't a really big convenience.

Those of us who are concerned with nickels and dimes had better spend them as fast as they can before they're like Confederate money, only worth much less.

It seems like the middle class of the United States has been standing in quicksand while other developed nations with a more reasonable approach to sharing the value of their economies help maintain infrastructure while sustaining the value of human labor.

We've got a bunch of fucking clowns in power who's primary concern is re-election at any cost, and a system that requires these lapdogs to suck dick to get elected. And...we put up with it.

conlejm

Lifer
Mar 22, 2014
It's a recently advertised sale on Lane aromatics. For instance, Lane 1-Q is $28.00 per 1lb bag, versus $28.80 for 1lb bulk. Either way, if you like Lane aromatics, that is a good price for a pound of tobacco.

weezell

Lifer
Oct 12, 2011
We've got a bunch of fucking clowns in power who's primary concern is re-election at any cost, and a system that requires these lapdogs to suck dick to get elected. And...we put up with it.
How ya REALLY FEEL! Love ya Brother, we on the same page... :rofl:

newbroom

Lifer
Jul 11, 2014
Florida
conlejm, that's the one. Sure...an lb. of tobacco for under $30.00 seems like a nice price and a sale is just a way to attract attention to a product so, there's that.

It's a recently advertised sale on Lane aromatics. For instance, Lane 1-Q is $28.00 per 1lb bag, versus $28.80 for 1lb bulk. Either way, if you like Lane aromatics, that is a good price for a pound of tobacco.

warren, yeah, well...now that I think about the concept of a clown, I think they deserve all the ridicule they get.

Now, a fool, on the other hand, might deserve some leniency.

The key here in the 'political' portion is the value of human life and labor. The pipe community could be seen as a microcosm of the world's economy.

I've seen threads complaining about guys making hand made pipes and asking for more money than the 'critic' deems

conscionable, ferchrissakes.

elbert

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 10, 2015
I use to work at a retail chain. One week the item is 25 percent off, the next week the same item is buy one get one half price.
It's all about creating urgency in the customer's mind.

elbert

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 10, 2015
I should also note that the brands that trade on quality, heritage, and in some cases domestic manufacturing often exempt themselves and their products from these little retailers' mind games. The only real 'deals' are on the clearance rack.
I would further note that the U.S. consumer spends less on food as a percentage of their income than almost anyone else. We deserve everything we get--whether we're talking outsourcing production to China or a McDonald's on every street corner.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
It's all about marketing, and tricking the perception of the consumer. Seeing $99.99 on something is easier to swallow than $100.00.

tuold

Lifer
Oct 15, 2013
Beaverton,Oregon
newbroom wrote:
It seems like the middle class of the United States has been standing in quicksand while other developed nations with a more reasonable approach to sharing the value of their economies help maintain infrastructure while sustaining the value of human labor.
I can't dispute that, but at the same time, I'm not willing to pay the 40% tax rate those countries levy on their citizens to accomplish that.
As far as the "sale", yeah, that's pretty lame. It would be better to advertise sales in terms of percent off. At 10% off I might buy a couple pounds. At 1% off?....Nope. I'll pass.

Status
Not open for further replies.