PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

wilson

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 17, 2013
Back to my pipes after a very long (25 year) hiatus. When I started out, long ago, I smoked mostly Captain Black (all of 'em). Then, I found a great shop and started smoking store blends that were heavy on the latakia. Moved, no tobacco shop around and the Captain didn't do it for me any more. Rather than try other OTC's, I mostly smoked cigars, off and on, for many years.
Recently, thanks to Hurricane Sandy, I've been back to my pipes. Over the past few months I've tried, and liked well enough to order again: Carter Hall (the first tobacco I tried when I re-started), Early Morning Pipe, C&D Good Morning, Walnut and C&D Autumn Evening. What I've also tried, and mostly liked, but not enough to re-order: Prince Albert, Sir Walter Raleigh (both are good, but I prefer CH if I'm going in this direction) and Squadron Leader.
So far, I've been fortunate and haven't had anything that I hated. The one that surprised me most was Autumn Evening. I didn't expect to like something aromatic, but thought I'd try it in the hope of having something less offensive when there is company on the porch. I actually like it and sometimes reach for it even when I'm by myself.
What I'm wondering is if anyone, given my odd list of "likes" so far, would venture forth and recommend something else for me to try. I know it is tough to gauge someone else's tastes, but I won't hold anyone personally responsible. I would like to expand my horizons, but there are a million things to try and only so much time - I'm not getting any younger.

tokerpipes

Lifer
Jan 16, 2012
Eatonville, WA
+1 on tastes changing. As many on here have several different blends and tobaccos on their shelf, I suggest getting some samplers from P&C and check a few out.

rmbittner

Lifer
Dec 12, 2012
Welcome, Wilson!
I haven't tried any of the OTC blends you mentioned -- and I'm not much of an aromatic guy -- but in addition to Roth's recommendations (I'll especially second the Frogs and Man's Best Friend), I'd add the following suggestions that you might enjoy, since you like EMP and latakia blends:
Dunhill's London Mixture

McClelland's Wilderness

McClelland's Oriental No. 6
Because you mentioned Squadron Leader, even though you didn't like it enough to restock it, I'd suggest these alternatives that you might really enjoy:
Presbyterian Mixture

Rattray's Red Rapparee

GL Pease's Charing Cross
Bob

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Orlik Gold Slice is simple but fulsome tobacco, the first sliced tobacco I tried, and a good experience

both packing the pipe and smoking it.

tokerpipes

Lifer
Jan 16, 2012
Eatonville, WA
Orlik is not one a person can always say they like the first bowl full. It takes several bowls in multiple pipes to truly appreciate. My first bowl I wanted to chuck it out the car window. After several bowls and rubbing it out and switching the pipe up a few times I could agree its a good tobacco. Not a beginner baccy for sure.

wilson

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 17, 2013
Thank you, all. I can't wait to place an order this weekend and try some of the tobaccos that have been suggested. Depending on whom I order from, and which of these they stock, I'm anxious to try some new things.

Status
Not open for further replies.