PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

paulfg

Lifer
Feb 21, 2016
Corfu Greece
What size bowl do you find best?

I am currently smoking condor plug in a pretty standard dimension chamber bulldog 3/4" x 1 1/2",what do you find works best? and for plug smokers how long do you dry it for/can you over dry it and lose the aroma?

I have 2 more plugs left but can get ready rubbed & flakes easier.

Is there much difference are plugs worth the extra trouble to obtain.

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
Paul, I smoke both Condor Flake (Long Cut) and Plug and I find no bowl preference unlike some other blends.
As for drying, I slice off sufficient for roughly three bowls, rub it out a little then air it for a few hours. Do realise that though it might feel bone dry on the outside, it is inside the chunks where most of the moisture is to be found.
Regards differences, I find the ready rubbed and the flake to be the same which indeed they are but the plug version has so much more depth of flavour and of course gives a longer smoke if cut correctly.
Regards,
Jay.

fluffie666

Can't Leave
Apr 4, 2014
Ah, the mighty Condor. Mighty fine stuff. Jay said it and I find the same is true of the plug. The cut is important. I slice fairly thin and rub it out as much as possible. I do like a few hours of dry time but also found that thin cut and rubbed out, I can pack it right in and light up. As for bowl size, I've never used anything very deep or very wide. Everything else seems to work well. Of course the larger chambers will get punchier on the nic hit. Go slow and see how it behaves. Fantastic stuff.

paulfg

Lifer
Feb 21, 2016
Corfu Greece
thanks for the quick replies guys

I useD my plug cutter to get very thin (probably less than 1mm) shavings and then rubbed it out

The first bowl I smoked today I dried for about 15 minutes,I am now smoking another bowl that was dried for 1/2 hour in a GBD rhodesian with a wider and shallower bowl .

I will see how they compare.I will dry the next one for 1 or 2 hours.

With regard to plug v other cuts,I can get the UK available RR and flake fairly easily in the summer as I have friends come from England several times each summer.The plug I need to order from Ireland (assuming they still ship to Europe) and risk the greek customs lottery.
I am growing to love Condor,it may become my standard smoke

AM I BECOMING AN OLD CODGER

condorlover1

Lifer
Dec 22, 2013
New York
The Condor Plug is only 25 grams now boosted to 30 grams or about 1 oz which is half the size of a Warrior Plug. I find when fresh the plug is pretty easy to cut and rub out. To be honest I have never bothered with drying out the tobacco and just cut thin slices off using a very sharp knife. I find it takes a light very easily and burns down to a mottled ash. It is in my opinion far superior to RR and the flake and has an altogether deeper taste than the two pouch Condor products. I discovered the plug in the mid 1980s and I have always enjoyed that over the RR.

weezell

Lifer
Oct 12, 2011
To be honest I have never bothered with drying out the tobacco and just cut thin slices off using a very sharp knife.
I find that if I dry it much at all I lose some depth of flavor.I like to shave it and stuff it(That's what I told her to!) :rofl: ...

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
.....I like to shave it and stuff it! (That's what I told her, too!)
Not me. I miss a nice bush. All this shaved stuff was great as a novelty, but you can hardly find a natural look any more. Although I am not abstaining in protest or anything.! It's a bit like a nice fluffy shag cut.....

drrock

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 20, 2011
Minnesota
I've only had Condor Ready Rubbed but my personal preference is to smoke it in a pipe with a small bowl. In a Missouri Meerschaum Mizzou, a Dr. Grabow Lark, or a Stanwell cutty it's sublime. I have some Condor Plug that I haven't gotten around to yet, but when I do, it'll be in a small bowl.

All hail the mighty Condor! YUM!

hawky454

Lifer
Feb 11, 2016
Austin, TX
Just stopped by to reiterate that ya don't need to dry your Condor. It smokes just fine right from the pouch and I'm talking about all of them, Long Cut, Ready Rubbed and the Plug.

saltedplug

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
If there is a plug version available, I always buy it as I have Condor Plug. The acuity of my palate which mostly driven by my willingness to taste drives the quality of my smokes. I've never found bowl size relevant, but I do smoke smaller bowls when time is a consideration or when I smoke something very very strong like brown rope, and in parallel, I've never found a pipe that like a blend.
I don't dry the plug as its not wet and pull it apart with my fingers, which I also do with rope, my way of paying homage to my pipe ancestors.

josephcross

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 30, 2015
I really want to get some Condor Plug, where is the best place to order, that will ship to Canada.

paulfg

Lifer
Feb 21, 2016
Corfu Greece
Its only available from Ireland, I think James fox will ship internationally.

Dont forget for those outside Europe the VAT @ 23% will be removed from prices
http://www.pipedivan.com/index.php?main_page=advanced_search_result&search_in_description=1&keyword=condor&x=0&y=0

paulfg

Lifer
Feb 21, 2016
Corfu Greece
Jay

it may be but on the pipedivan site it quotes
Tax Rates

All the displayed prices of our products include V.A.T. at the current rate - currently 23%. Deliveries to countries outside the E.U. are excempt of the VAT and the tax will be deducted from the order during checkout.
I dont know I am in Greece vat here is 23%

pepesdad1

Lifer
Feb 28, 2013
I prefer a small, narrow chambered thick walled pipe. Got to pull every delicious morsel of flavor from that rubbed out semi-dri flake. There is nothing like Condor. IMO

Status
Not open for further replies.