PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dec 24, 2012
In about 6 weeks I will be in Boston for a week attending a conference. I have heard about L.J. Peretti and plan to visit. Any recommendations on Peretti English blends or VA blends would be appreciated. Also, when you buy Peretti's own tobacco, does it come loose or is it tinned? I see on their website they show an LJ Peretti tin, but I also noticed that the pricing seems to be per oz/ 8oz/ lb. My preference would be to have tins.

pruss

Lifer
Feb 6, 2013
Mytown
Hey Peck. When I was in Boston in April I bought loose tobacco in bags. I don't know if they would have tinned it had I asked, but I was battling the "new guy in town" syndrome and was a bit awe-struck.
As far as English blends go, I enjoyed the Cambridge Flake quite a lot, but I fell in love with the Oriental #40. Their Royal Blend gets rave reviews from folks here (I think Roth is a big fan), but I failed to grab any while in Boston.
Have a good trip back to Boston mate.
-- Pat

Dec 24, 2012
Thanks Roth. I have noted those. Some googling leads me to believe they have an English blend called Omega that seems very well reviewed. Has anyone tried it?

rickpal14

Lifer
Jun 9, 2011
I hit Peretti's 4-5 times a year when I am in town. You will love it peck!!! I would also recommend Park Square (vaper) and Royal Blend (eng). I can also recommend their Tashkent and Cuban mixture blends. They note that Cuban Mixture is their oldest blend and it has a little bit of everything in it. Very tasty in my book! have not tried their Omega blend.
If you like a good burley blend I would highly recommend their Somerset Slices. It is a very good flake that kind of reminds me of Stonehaven. Just slightly..... although it is also delivered in long flakes like Stonehaven. I don't think it is listed online
As far as packaging, everything over 8 ozs is packaged in a paint can type canister. Very cool and with the old school yellow label it just bleeds old time Boston tobacconist!!
Most of all have fun!!!!

drrock

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 20, 2011
Minnesota
All the Peretti blends I've tried have been great.

While I suspect the majority of their baccys are sold as bulk, they do sell their blends in an 8 oz. paint can type tin that is good for aging.

Cuban Mixture is one of the most complex blends I've ever tried and I'd highly recommend it.

lestrout

Lifer
Jan 28, 2010
Chester County, PA
Peck - you will be in heaven at LJP's. All the Lats plus Smith's Own listed above are in my Cellar. Also Boston Slices, which is in the same family as the Capstans. You can sample bowls to decide what to load up on.
hp

les

reichenbach

Jan 5, 2012
West Park, NY
From my last visit, about a year ago I believe, I have Dundee and London Flake. Both are VaPer type where Dundee has the addition of cigar leaf. Both are really good but, to me, are like a delicious chocolate cake: I love it but I can not do it every day. I do recommend them though. I'm planning a trip up in the next couple weeks and I want to try Park Square and maybe one more. My candidates are Cuban, No. 333, or BPC. Also D-7485 is very good (it's been years since I smoked it though). It's listed under English and they do not disclose the components but I remember it vaguely tasting like cookies. That might be a false memory though. That might another one I pick up just to reacquaint myself with it.
Do enjoy the experience and if you get your balls busted, take it in stride.

docwatson

Lifer
Jul 2, 2009
New England
The finest and most knowlegeable blenders of tobacco in the Northeast. The 8 ounce Paint Cans are the way to go. I have pounds of their tobaccos cellared for twenty years!!! And they stay perfect in those cans. Talk to Mike, J.M., or Steve Smith behind the counter and they'll be glad to answer any questions regarding their tobaccos. Just don't ask for the recipes which are proprietary. They have a fine selection of high grade pipes especially Castellos. Charles Normand ( manager) and Steve Willett (owner) are the experts on the Castello line. These guys are mostly out back in the office running the show. The place is small, quaint, and a treasure to behold for a pipe lover. Ask for a sample bowlful, take a chair, sit back and enjoy. Don't go home without a selection of their blends and when you find some that you like you will be ordering the stuff by the pound. There are too many of their blends for me to pick just one favorite. Personally I would pass on the flakes and try their own hand blended mixtures for the ultimate Peretti experience.

ravkesef

Lifer
Aug 10, 2010
Cheshire, CT
And don't forget two of my favorite English blends: D-7485 and D-9575. Not very romantically named, but perfect for those who enjoy a light English that isn't too extreme.

lestrout

Lifer
Jan 28, 2010
Chester County, PA
Jay - LJP presses a limited run of these crumble cake blocks every T'Giving. I recall them to be aromatic and they sell out pretty quickly. If you go into their back room 'lounge', you can see their old press, maybe almost as old as their scale out front.
hp

les

patiobum

Nov 5, 2009
Baytown,Texas
I went to tobacco reviews and pulled up a list of their English blends. Most are 3 and 4 star with a few 2 star.
Maybe a good place to start. Sounds like a great adventure. :lol:

zitotczito

Lifer
Aug 12, 2014
Was off today so I took the plunge and pick up 8 oz. each of Royal, Smith's Own, D-9575 and Omega. Why 8 oz. amounts, I liked the cool cans. Looking forward to trying these.

huntertrw

Lifer
Jul 23, 2014
The Lower Forty of Hill Country
"It's strange, but depending on how you look and whether they like you or not, the staff and Peretti's can be somewhat disconcerting."
Not to worry, this is just traditional New England Yankee bluntness on display.

Status
Not open for further replies.