PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

cmdrmcbragg

Lifer
Jul 29, 2013
The reason I bring this up is I have come across some pipers on this internet thing that need some thicker skin.
The case I am making is from a recent post on "Pipe Smokers (Tobacco Only" on Facebook. A guy posted a pic of his pipe and a bag of Tewksbury & Co.'s Hobbit's Weed. I commented that I think it is overrated. His sarcastic reply was "you're charming."
I don't know what is wrong with stating an informed opinion.
Call me a prick, but it seems to me that there are a lot of pipers who are overly congratulatory and do not appreciate a dissenting opinion. I mentioned that I thought JFM Middle Earth series had better blends as far as LoTR named blends go. I always do because I see Hobbit's Weed pop up frequently, I've smoked it, and I don't get why people think it is so great. Merely state my opinion and why, I don't call anyone names or make fun of it or the people who smoke it.
Maybe it is just me.

cmdrmcbragg

Lifer
Jul 29, 2013
I had to make an edit to the post and somehow must've deleted it. My bad. I reposted something similar to the original.

metalmilitia

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 14, 2013
I'll agree that some folks should be thicker skinned, but if we spoke (and typed for that matter) to each other with respect at all times, then I suppose we would never know who was thick skinned and who wasn't. I did not see anything wrong with your post, but you are obviously just as upset with his reply as he was with yours

cmdrmcbragg

Lifer
Jul 29, 2013
Another comment I would like to add: there used to be a thing called constructive criticism. Apparently it got lumped into the same category as regular criticism.
Constructive criticism - Criticism is leveled but balanced with ways to improve, or further suggestions. The receiver SHOULD understand that this is more CONSTRUCTIVE. (i.e. "Hobbit's Weed is overrated. I think JFH's Middle Earth series has better blends as far as LoTR named blend go.")
Regular criticism - Only criticism is leveled. Leaving the receiver of the criticism to decide for themselves how to interpret it and what to do about it. (i.e. "Hobbit's Weed sucks. Go find a better bag of 'baccy.")
See? There is a difference. Sure, they might end up saying the exact same thing, but they sound much different.

Perique

Lifer
Sep 20, 2011
www.tobaccoreviews.com
Fair, and I have no dog in this fight. But there's also solicited and unsolicited criticism. "What do you guys think of brand X?". As opposed to "I love brand X". If a guy enjoys a particular blend, why rain on his parade? I agree though, with the thread title: there have been some thin-skinned folks around of late.

Aug 1, 2012
I'll agree that some folks should be thicker skinned, but if we spoke (and typed for that matter) to each other with respect at all times, then I suppose we would never know who was thick skinned and who wasn't.
Very well said. I usually find that those complaining about another's "thin skin" are ignoring the fact that they themselves are being a jerk.
Incidentally, what was the point of your comment? Was your "feedback" requested? If not, why would you feel the need to make a negative comment? We post pictures of what we like, not to have somebody tell us its crap, but to show what we are happy about.
I haven't read the posts in question as I do not have a FB account so I am just going off the OP's explanation.

buzzbegone

Lurker
Sep 28, 2013
I just got done looking at an old topic from 2012 called, "Meerschaum vs Briar", I actually expected a somewhat heated discussion, but throughout the whole read-through it felt like La Dee Daa Holdy-Hands! Each member posted amicably and honorably with their different opinions/criticisms. I believe that is the right way to debate things and no one was too sensitive.
On a side note I'll have to check out that bag of Tewksbury & Co.'s Hobbit's Weed since I just love cherry aromatics (especially the ones with too much cherry). And that is in no way meant to be a jab at the OP. I respect positive and negative opinions, because without either both would not exist.

pchitti

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 26, 2013
Central Texas
I think you mistook the entire situation. Unless a conversation took place off the comments, it was just a smart ass remark. We are a group full of them and most of us enjoy them.

sfsteves

Lifer
Aug 3, 2013
SF Bay Area
back when I was in college, I tried some cherry blend of some sort ... I quickly learned that I preferred my pipe tobacco to taste like tobacco, not like a candy bar set on fire ... I don't like flavored cigars either, but realize there's a market for these flavored tobaccos or they wouldn't be made or sold ...
if they row your boat, go for it ... I'll stick with something else.

checotah

Part of the Furniture Now
Feb 7, 2012
I was in upper management for many years. One of the lessons I learned was that "constructive criticism" is still criticism, regardless of how presented. Constructive suggestions are different, and often better received. It all really comes down to how one presents the issue and any options. If civility and mutual respect is not maintained, then war is being declared, and in war, there really can be no rules.

Apr 26, 2012
Washington State
I agree. Some people just get to "butt-hurt" when someone doesn't agree with them. As I like to say; "to each their own." If someone has a different opinion than might that's perfectly fine. There's no need to cry about it.
I have some Hobbits Weed and at the moment its the best cherry flavored tobacco I've had, and I still don't think its that great. It's pretty good, but not great. With that said I've only had three cherry flavored tobacco's. The others being Very Cherry and Moulin Rouge which I didn't care for either really. Probably because I'm not a big fan of cherry flavored tobacco. I recently ordered some Devils Holiday which I haven't tried yet, so we'll see how I like that one once I crack the tin.

andrew

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
I don't know, whenever I come across someone who's been butthurt on the internets I do them the favour of giving them the form to fill out and report to the appropriate internet police force.

82523963.jpg

It's the honest fair thing to do in these situations to get to the cause of the root problem of the butt hurt.

05venturer

Lifer
Nov 25, 2012
Amery,WI
I just read through the whole post on FB and I don't even understand why this post was brought up. Doesn't seem as though anyone had and thin skin issues. Just looks like some tobacco discussion amongst a few pipers. :roll:

tarak

Lifer
Jun 23, 2013
South Dakota
I think the internet has created this crazy culture where we, being parted from real relationship, sling around a host of unnecessary things, both positive and negative.
The problem is we are still real people with real lives. Inside many of us (perhaps not all, but many) we derive a certain amount of satisfaction and identity from these postings.
So, you put up a picture of yourself with some hobbits weed- feeling like you are part of some group that gets and respects you- maybe some other people like hobbits weed too....
....then someone states an opinion: that stuff is overrated. For many, that stings because it attacks this identity/belonging issue...and the response is defensiveness.
Outside of personal interaction, I think we have to be careful to make sure that if we openly display something, like "I like Hobbits Weed", you'll probably get critiqued. And if we are going to offer something negative.....an answer to a question that was unasked.....finding the most respectful way.
For any of you who are combat vets of the "pipe babes" thread- I think we saw those differences in action.

dochudson

Lifer
May 11, 2012
I see it here and across the street regularly.. a guy will get a new pipe and proudly post a pic. Most will reply great pipe, etc.. but, you always have those who say stuff like. I heard they are always drilled funny did you check, you could a have bought a nicer estate for less money or the guys that will post a pic of their new pipe and basically cut the guy off. another scenario you have a guy who scraped together $100 or whatever price and they ask for opinions between a couple of pipes. you always get the save your money guys cause a $100 Pete or Sav ain't that great or the guys that insist a cob is the answer to every question.

skapunk1

Can't Leave
Feb 20, 2013
I think everyone's taking all this too seriously, and I'm about as thick skinned and thick skulled as they come. I started reading this thread out of pure curiosity. I'm personally not concerned with what others smoke or what they think about what I smoke. Let's not get all Dr. Phil here. I say sit back, smoke your pipe, and move on with life.

dervis

Lifer
Jan 30, 2012
Hazel Green AL
Apparently there are far far more WOMEN pipe smokers than I realized on this site. Glad to see the hobby growing in the young lady community. Keep smoking ladies!

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
cmdrmcbragg, first of all you are talking about a facebook posting, everyone knows that anyone who uses face book are cretinous neophytes who are intellectually challenged, so it really doesn't matter what was said now does it?
Secondly you are discussing LOTR blends, probably the gayest blends on the market and we all know the kind of people who smoke those( not that there is anything wrong with it). Now your comment while certainly not complimentary could be considered rude and condescending in some circles which basically makes you a prick. LOL
It is the internet, I always try to be polite in commenting on people's choices of what they smoke or what they smoke with. Why try to make someone feel badly just because you don't happen to like their choice? People never taste the same thing even when smoking the same blends so who are we to judge what tastes good or what doesn't?
In closing, I think the old rule of if you don't have something nice to say, say nothing at all should still apply.

Status
Not open for further replies.