PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

sparrowhawk

Lifer
Jul 24, 2013
About two-three months ago, primarily because it was such a lovely pipe, I again succumbed to PAD and purchased a Nording Giant Rustic Pipe. When I got it in the mail, I was awed--both by the beauty of the pipe and because of its huge dimensions. (I wish I was able to take a good picture of a truly exceptional plateau.) When they called it a "giant," they weren't kidding! I feared trying to smoke it because that would make it impossible to return to the vendor, but because of the kind encouragements of the "enablers" here, I finally got up the nerve to try this fearsome monster. Well, with this encouragement, how could I not try it?--So I did, and the Nording gave me a truly memorable smoke. Now I've had it for about three months, and here are some observations that you might find useful if giant pipes are not in your rotation.

The chamber, of course, is deep and wide, and I soon realized that this made it an ideal pipe to smoke if you're fond of moisture-filled aromatics. This is because the huge chamber allows more air and oxygen to reach the tobacco, allowing for a full, consuming burn. You'll easily burn right to the dottle with a pipe like this. I love my Molto Dulce in this pipe.

Second, this is a pipe that is great for a smoke if you're in a meditative mood. I find the Norway great as a beginning-of-the-day smoker, when everyone is asleep and the house is quiet and the sun is just rising. It allows for an easy, slow sipping with few re-lights, again because the chamber is so large it holds a burn much more efficiently than smaller, regular pipes. Depending on your smoking style, a smoke from this pipe easily lasts at least a half-hour.

Lastly, it's a great sitter because there is so much surface area to flatten out. You'll find that's handy because it's too large for a pipe rest, and indeed too large for a pipe rack. But it also makes for a great paper weight--or a defensive weapon. :)

So, if you haven't experienced one of these giants--and I would gamble that most of us do not--try one out. I think you might find it a worthwhile addition to your collection. I already have a second Nording giant on layaway that I hope to get in another month.

PS--If you're a clencher, you might have some problems. :twisted:

img_0662-600x310.jpg

thehappypiper

Can't Leave
Feb 27, 2014
Hi SP

This is exactly the kind of pipe I like, but as you say, I have no idea how big it is. Could you post a picture of it beside a zippo or packet of cigarettes?

I'm also a little confused by your statement that a smoke in this can easily last 30 mins. The longest smoke I ever had was 2.25 hours from my size 5 Comoy. Assuming a "Giant" is at least twice as big as this, I shudder to thin how long it would take to smoke a full bowl. How on earth can yours only last half an hour?

More clarification needed!

sparrowhawk

Lifer
Jul 24, 2013
We aim to please. The pipe is about 7 1/4 inches long, 3 inches high, chamber depth 2 1/4 inches, diameter at plateau about 1 inch. About just under 2 inches wide measuring from the side plateau to the opposite side. As for smoking time, everyone would have their different times; I used 1/2 hour to describe how long it would take to smoke this pipe continuously. For my part, I find it had to imagine taking two and a half hours to smoke a single bowl of any pipe continuously. This is what I mean by "smoking style." Many of us, I'm sure, put the pipe down for a few minutes to have coffee or do something, and the bowl has to be relit. I put the pipe down to type something. And so on. Given what you've said, you may want to wait for further reactions from other members of the forum to see if a giant pipe is really for you; If you can take two and a half hours to smoke a single bowl, then maybe a giant isn't for you.

img_0664-600x284.jpg

thehappypiper

Can't Leave
Feb 27, 2014
Thanks for the picture. It certainly is bigger than any pipe I currently own!

The long smoke I mentioned was 85% constant, while watching a movie. Packed well, great tobacco and sip-sip-sipping, with a nice bottle of something. I dont smoke when Im doing something else and rarely during the day. I find if I let a pipe go out more than twice the taste changes significantly. Certainly if one packs two flakes of FVF in a bowl which have not been rubbed out, it is going to take a long time to smoke them. But, each to their own method. :)

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
Great looking Nording, glad to hear you enjoy how it smokes. If I loaded it with one of my favorite flakes, I think I could get about a 5 hour smoke out of that puppy. lol

doctorthoss

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 6, 2011
I have one of Nording's giant pipes, as well, in addition to some large pipes from other makers.i am awed by the apparently invincible nature of your tongue LOL, esp. Smoking aros through that thi g. I would normally consider 30 minutes to be about right for a small briar or even a cob and would never try smoking an aro that fast! I use my big pipes for parfaits, I.e. bowls in which I layer several blends of tobacco for a varied smoke. I love the aesthetic qualities of the Danish style for some reason and have also fallen in love with Ardor fantasy pipes. In fact, if you ever want to try something similar to your Nording, take a look at some of Ardors fantasy sitters. They are of comparable size and many of them are quite unique.

moonman

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 23, 2014
You have brought up some interesting point on Large/Giant pipes. I have one as well. It's a L. Viprati sitter made in Italy. It's a beautiful pipe but massive. I bought it but have never smoked it...maybe now I will give it a try...but it's a real handful.
002-7-600x450.jpg

phil67

Lifer
Dec 14, 2013
First of all, a beautiful looking pipe. I once purchased a Ben Wade (un-smoked) on eBay at quite a good price. It smoked just fine, but after about six or more bowls I decided that the bowl was much too large for my preference. I don’t remember the exact bowl dimensions, but the bowl chamber depth was about 2 ½” and 1 ½” wide. I felt as though I had stuck a pipe stem into a wooden 8oz. coffee cup, stuffed it with tobacco and decided to smoke it! Just my personal opinion of course, but I like a good one hour smoke or so, and that’s about it. This freaking thing could have gone on for about three hours! I then placed it up on eBay and made a good profit on it. But, hey... if you like smoking a bowl for about three hours then that is all that matters. :wink:
Ben_Wade_1.jpg

settersbrace

Lifer
Mar 20, 2014
I can easily get a 30 minute smoke (usually longer) from the smallest cob bowl that own. I can barely get my pinky into the bottom of the bowl and I will grab that pipe specifically for what I'd call a short smoke and I may only have to relight it once. It's true that everyone has their unique smoking style and cadence but judging from the pictures of the "Giants" it would be my guess that I'd get 2 to 2-1/2 hours out those with my standard English ribbon cuts. Very nice pipes, btw.

escioe

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 31, 2013
If you're finishing that in a half hour, I can't imagine how scorched your tongue must be. There are different smoking styles and cadences, but that's just about insanely fast.

conlejm

Lifer
Mar 22, 2014
I have six Peterson House Pipes and a Peterson Freehand; they are considered XXL, and take me a minimum 75 - 90 minutes to smoke depending on the blend I am smoking and how tightly I have packed the bowl. This pipe in your picture looks about the size of the Freehand.

sparrowhawk

Lifer
Jul 24, 2013
I must be doing something wrong: perhaps I don't pack the tobacco as tightly as I could? I will have to re-time myself the next time I smoke the Nording. But its dimensions are nothing like the Italian sitter above: you could have a bonfire in that one! Also, I usually have some dottle remaining in the pipe when I'm done, and that may have something to do with the seemingly short smoking time. But I'm still a newcomer to the art of pipe smoking, and am still developing my "smoking style," as I call it, for lack of a better term. But I definitely don't puff very fast and inhale deeply, or anything like that, but I must be doing something wrong that I'll be aware of in the future.

thehappypiper

Can't Leave
Feb 27, 2014
Well you can certainly make a choice within some limits, as to how long a smoke will be with packing methods and smoking style. A ribbon-cut, medium packed, should last about 30 mins of constant smoking in a size 4 bowl if one is simply having a daily smoke, puffing a bit to get your N fix over your morning paper. Well-packed and wringing every last Oz of taste from the tobacco, sipping as slowly and meditatively as possible, can easily result in 45-60 mins from the same size 4. If you go onto an unrubbed, robust flake such as Condor or [God forbid] cube-cut Revor Plug, it can esily take most of the evening, especially as one might need to take a rest.

I have a Peterson Aran No. 15, which is probably size 2.5-3 and it likes Latakia. Some firmish Abingdon in that is a good small smoke, maybe 20 mins. Bare in mind also that the tightness of packing also brings out more robust flavours, with non-aromatics anyway. I stopped smoking Aromatics a very long time ago. I suggest you buy a tin of Dunhill Flake or Robbert McConnell's Scottish Cake, pack it using the three fill method {Mummy/Daddy/Baby pressure] in an other pipe and tell us what you think.

sparrowhawk

Lifer
Jul 24, 2013
What is a rubbed or rolled tobacco?

I should also point out what may not be obvious in the Nording; The shape itself is that of a fat slab, with the chamber drilled in the middle. This is not a round pipe!--except for the chamber itself, of course. If it were round it would take two hands to lift.

What is the "three-pressure"? I think I know, but it would help if you regaled me.

thehappypiper

Can't Leave
Feb 27, 2014
Well, there are several variants of tobacco presentation, vis Ribbon cut [a la Dunhill 965], ready rubbed [think Skiff], Flake [condor long cut or full virginia flake] and plug [revor, jack-knife]. If you do an image search on these tobaccos you should clearly see the difference. Plugs can be a lot of work, are generally of the stronger, more natural type of tobacco [for experienced smokers] and need to be prepared; cut, pulled apart etc. They can also be stored indefinitely with very little effort and will mature nicely. A Flake is a plug/block/cake which has been sliced into long thin strips. This is an extremely popular method of presentation for several reasons. Firstly, it makes things easier for the piper to decide exactly how he will smoke a tobacco; a ribbon-cut tobacco is WYSIWY. Ribbons often come at the right moisture to smoke immediately but will lose there moisture very quickly due to the immense surface area which these tiny little ribbons present to the atmosphere. A flake, especially a Samuel Gawith Flake, can be bulk-stored in an airtight jar and left at the bottom of a cupboard for 5 years without a moment's worry, whereas a ribbon cut ideally needs to be smoked quickly when opened. A flake can also be prepared as a fully rubbed out tobacco, even into "angelhair" consistency or slightly broken for a fuller flavour, or simply stacked like tentpoles in the bowl, snipped at the top and puffed on for hours for an extremely full smoke. It is also a good idea to experiment with preparing different layers of the same tobacco, prepared differently, a "uniparfait" if you like; ready rubbed in the lower third where the tobacco will not need any further strengthening but might need more of an open texture to allow the oils and moisture of the bowl to evaporate, angel-hair on the top 1/5th to get things going and some broken flake in the middle for a stout mid-smoke.

There are really two main methods of filling a pipe with rubbed or ribbon-cut tobacco; the Frank's Method, which is well-covered online and the Three Fill method, which I find I am increasingly using since it is extremely straightforward and reliable. The Frank's Method is sublime, but it takes a long time. The Three Fill Method will not work on flaked or pug tobacco which have not been rubbed, but there is some leeway with broken flakes, up to a point. Take your bowl and fill it with tobacco until it reaches the top, without forcing any tobacco in or trying to put more presssure in; give it a little shake, then push down on the tobacco (daddy) until it has been compressed to half the height of the bowl. Then take some more tobacco and fill to the top of the bowl and push down till it is 2/3 of the height of the bowl (mummy), then fill and lightly tamp (baby).

Hope this helps!

Status
Not open for further replies.