PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

griffonwing

Can't Leave
Nov 12, 2014
Omaha AR
Well. I am back. Quite a bit has changed in the last several months since I was on here daily, but I will give you the quick synopsis.
The place I used to work in north central Arkansas was one of the 2 top producers of epoxy resin countertops, fumehood tops and sinks for labs, kitchens, schools, and industrial. We were purchased a few years ago by a very famous "Scientific" company. Our only real competitor was a company down in Texas. Between us, we covered about 90-95% of all epoxy resin work in the US, and abroad.
Well, the parent LLC company, who owned the Scientific company and effectively my company as well, was in charge of all business payments, resin, utilities, all materials, everything. We went from receiving 2 tankers of resin a week to maybe 1 tanker every couple weeks, and eventually a month or two between. We went from a 1-week turnaround to a 4-month turnaround, with 4 millions in sales canceled during a single month. Many of those were smaller companies who had pre-paid!
Then talks of selling the company. We had a few ideas of would wanted to buy us, and the thoughts were awesome, that we could finally get back out of the hole we were thrown into once we had managment that actually gave a damn about employees and customers. Well, it never happened. What eventually did happen was that we were all laid off permanently and our assets (machines, equipment, etc..) were sold to our competitor in TX.
How is that, you say? They can't legally buy your company, that would give them a monopoly! Correct. But they CAN contact the owning company and make an huge offer on the equipment should they happen to just close the doors completely. And that, from what I hear, is what they did. They paid more (double I hear) than any other bid other companies were offering to buy us for, just to close us down, giving them more work.
Shrewd. Wrong in every sense, and should be illegal. But it happens.
So I spent 2 months on the dole, with unemployment giving me enough to still make bills. However, I packed up my 3-bedroom rental house, gave away a few things, moved to Springfield, moved into a friends back room, and he got me on where he works. Things are going well. I'm learning a new trade; or actually, expanding on a trade that I was already familiar with.
So. That's my last several months, in a nutshell. It's great to be back.

mephistopheles

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 14, 2014
It's good to have you back, Griff.
Persistence is key in those kinds of situations. I'm glad things are turning around for you. Best wishes.

uncleblackie

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 20, 2014
Sorry to hear that. Ah, capitalism and greed. Screw the other guy before they screw you.
Glad to hear things are looking better.

johnnyreb

Lifer
Aug 21, 2014
Sorry to hear what has happened but you are probably now in a better area in Springfield. Be sure & visit Just For Him and Mother's Brewing Company!

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
Perique, I doubt that is true. It sounds like this deal fell between the cracks for the "scientific company", started to go south, then the competition (being shrewd) saw an opportunity and took it. If it was me being laid off, I'd offer up my services up to the company in Texas. Seems like they run a tight ship.

jkrug

Lifer
Jan 23, 2015
I hope the hard times are all behind you now and that this new turn of events works out to be a positive and fresh start for you. All the best to you. :puffy:

papipeguy

Lifer
Jul 31, 2010
Bethlehem, Pa.
Not an uncommon story, sad to say. I'm glad you're on the rebound. Never give up. you'll come out on top in the end. Glad you're back among friends.

stickframer

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 11, 2015
I hope the hard times are all behind you now and that this new turn of events works out to be a positive and fresh start for you. All the best to you. 
I 2nd this.^

settersbrace

Lifer
Mar 20, 2014
One door closes as another opens.
No truer words were ever spoken and in today's business climate it's good to remain open ended with ones employment status. If I were to re-enter the job market as a younger tradesman I'd seriously look at each position accepted as a short term stepping stone to something or somwhere else. Loyalty and years of service make employees appear "used up, topped out, complacent". That spells liability and not asset to today's graduates of the Harvard Business School. Experience, knowledge and reliability no longer matters of concern to today's "bottom line" executives. 3-5 years at any job today is the norm by HR standards or at least that's what I've heard them say.
Good luck to you on this new path!

griffonwing

Can't Leave
Nov 12, 2014
Omaha AR
Thanks, all. It's good to be back. And whereas I loved working for Epoxyn, the people, and work, the environment, The owning company were idiots. LOL
As for moving to Texas to work for the competitor. No thank you. We had many customers, even ones who canceled the orders..they knew it was not us who was at fault. They would tell us to let them know when things turned around because they hated dealing with the other company. They always charged higher prices, they valued quantity over quality, and their customer service skills were non-existent. Thats not a company that I want my name associated with. And especially I do not want to work for a company that would kill 120 jobs.
Oh well. Things come, and things go. Life is funny that way. Lucky for me, Ive always been the optimist.

griffonwing

Can't Leave
Nov 12, 2014
Omaha AR
Johnny reb. I have already given Just For Him a large portion of my business in the last couple months. A great store and a great group of people.

nhpro

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 12, 2014
griff,

Like me I'm sure most on this forum have had similar experiences, but better times lay ahead for you my friend.

Keep your head held high!
God Bless

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Sounds like you are building on your knowhow and experience. I hope this disruption of your life ends up putting you further ahead in your career; it sounds like you have the right stuff to make that happen. Steady as it goes. Don't take on any more changes right now than you have to.

johnnyreb

Lifer
Aug 21, 2014
Johnny reb. I have already given Just For Him a large portion of my business in the last couple months. A great store and a great group of people.
I agree with you about JFH fully! (insert usual disclaimer here)
Even if you don't imbibe in adult beverages Mother's Brewing Company offers tours to the public that are very interesting.
http://mothersbrewing.com/brewery/mothers-tour/
Really glad to hear you are back on your feet! Springfield always seems to enjoy a good economy. I'm sure you will enjoy living there especially if you are an outdoorsman.

Status
Not open for further replies.