Pipes Magazine » Pipe Talk

Tags:   

Some Holiday Estates

(7 posts)
  1. tuold

tuold

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

My local antique store came through for me this Christmas and had these four estate pipes. From top to bottom:

Ropp Canadian
    Astley's Tudor Rose (My favorite of the four)
    Yello Bole Ventura (NOS)
    GBD Legacy

Those were six bucks each.

Even ebay favored me this week with one of my favorite makes, This old Tom Howard:

That pipe is 6 1/2 inches long. Came with it's original removable stinger too.

Now if I can just shake this nasty cold I'll got out the shop and enjoy them!

The pipe is an instrument of civilization.
    Posted 3 years ago #
  2. fnord

fnord

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Tuold:

You did well, brother. I agree on the Astley's Tudor Rose. That's a beautiful pipe.

The Tom Howard's I've seen have always eluded me, but yours is over the top. I'm more familiar with his burners than I am his performing career. I wonder if this is the same man? The timing seems right.

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0397643/bio?ref_=nm_ov_bio_sm

Good haul.

Fnord

It ain't the way I wanted it! I can handle things! I'm smart! Not like everybody says - like dumb - I'm smart and I want respect!
    Fredo Corleone
    Posted 3 years ago #
  3. agnosticpipe

Orley

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Nice haul tuold! The Ropp looks interesting, haven't seen one in a Canadian shape before. Enjoy them!

The pipe smoker formerly know as agnostic pipe
    "Fried food, hard liquor, and tobacco, that's the holy trinity!"- Stacy Keach
    Posted 3 years ago #
  4. tuold

tuold

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

fnord, that is the guy. Here's a TV show he hosted in the 50's (Warning, it's awful!)

It Pays To Be Ignorant

The one thing that remains to be solved is exactly who made Tom Howard pipes.

According to this Popular Mechanics article he was a hobbyist carver. I like to think he personally carved the three pipes I have with his signature stamped on them, but I doubt that's true. Some say they were made by the Weber Pipe Company.

Posted 3 years ago #
  5. mso489

mso489

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Six bucks apiece. Life is unfair. I've never encountered even a selection of worthy pipes like that at an antique store or flea market, much less bought 'em. Maybe you should leave your name and phone number with the proprietor and ask him/her to call when they get in pipes. Those look to be in really good shape and well selected. Bravo.

Posted 3 years ago #
  6. iamn8

Nate

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Those are nice pipes, but when you say Holiday estates I picture this
     photo A903FFCE-2061-4B31-B768-D117166B3BAE_zpsjgqjojr0.jpg

Nate @ Moody AL
    Posted 3 years ago #
  7. tuold

tuold

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Nate, when I look at that "estate" all I see is giant lawn to mow and property taxes I can't afford =)

MSO, it's just one guy who leases a corner of the antique store who brings in all those pipes. I'd like to meet up with him one of these days and ask him where he finds them all. I only bought about half of what he had there. Also left behind a nice pipe rack he has for sale for $25 bucks. Gotta pace myself.

Posted 3 years ago #

You must log in to post.

banner

Back To Top  | Back to Forum Home Page

Members Online Now
   craig61a, milehighpiper, weezell, cshubhra, georged, trouttimes, pepesdad1, acidpox, ssjones, sasquatch, chasingembers, olkofri, ben88