PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

papajoe

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 9, 2014
hello everybody, i'm knew to smoking pipes and after trying it with a very cheep pipe from ebay i want to buy a pipe that will give me a better smoking expiriance. so i looked up and so a few brands of pipes that i can afford buying but i dont know which are real pipe and which are "china made" and not worth dealin with.

so here are a few brands name , can you please tell me which are worth considering and which i should get away from asap:

1.SAVINELLI

2.B. BARLING & SON

3.Dr Grabow

4.hapuis Comoy

5.Gasparini

6.Dr Grob

thanks to all off you and it is a great site i have learnd here a lot about pipes and smoking
--------------------------

Thanks for being a member and participating.
Thread title fixed.
Please use your Shift key in body text as well.
Please see rule 9 here along with the rest of the forum rules
- Kevin

--------------------------

smeigs

Lifer
Jun 26, 2012
well.. All of those that you have listed are not chinese pipes. They are all pretty reputable pipe factories. As for some being lower quality, that is really a matter of opinion. Dr. Grabow pipes are american made and are usually a little more affordable. I have a few Dr. grabow pipes and they are excellent smokers at a great price. I also have a few savs and barlings. They are a bit more expensive but have a great reputation. Comoy has been around a long time, from about the 1820's. They started in France and have been going strong ever since. Gasparani pipes have been around since about the 40's and they have a large selection of lower to mid range pipes. These are all pretty decent brands with your savs and barlings being of a little better quality in my personnel opinion. Just do a bit of research and you will find that all these brands are solid pipe factories. Just experiment with different pipes and you will find out by trial and error what your personnel preference is. Good luck

numbersix

Lifer
Jul 27, 2012
Welcome papajoe. I agree with smeigs - those are all fine brands. I am not sure, but you mentioned one : Dr. Grob, which I am guessing is actually Mr. Brog.
If so, I have read forum members here praise them. They appear to make fine, inexpensive pipes, but some of their pipes are not briarwood, and while this isn't necessarily a bad thing, it's worth noting.

papipeguy

Lifer
Jul 31, 2010
Bethlehem, Pa.
welcome to the forum, papajoe. Savinelli and Stanwell are two brands where you can't go wrong. The others you mentioned are good too.

I would also suggest that you get a couple of Missouri Meerschaum Corn Cobs. Cobs are very inexpensive, incredibly durable and great for trying new blends. I've never had a cob ghost from any blend plus they look real cool when you're in the yard.

Have fun here and check in often.

papajoe

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 9, 2014
Well everyone thanks for the help and the warm welcome.You helped me a lot and now to the hard work - choosing one of them.

I'll let you know what i have chosen.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Welcome to the forum! Savinelli and Stanwell are two very favored entry level pipes that also offer higher grades. Savinelli works on the General Motors principle - start with a Chevy and work your way up to a Cadillac.
I would avoid the current Barlings, as they are not actually made by Barling any longer. It's a trade name that's owned by an importer and the pipes are made by Peterson. A lot of people here love their Petes, but the company has been having issues with very uneven quality for the past several years and I doubt that they would be more concerned with pipes not bearing their name. The old family era Barlings, on the other hand, are considered by many, as the best pipes ever to come out of England.
The other makes that you listed are popular, as are cobbs. Butz-Choquin and Chacom also make excellent pipes at affordable prices.
Stay away from estates until you're more knowledgeable about pipes and proper condition, unless you buy from a reputable online dealer, or your local B&M. Estates can provide good values, but they can also provide true horror stories for the uninitiated.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I just bought two Stanwells from P&C, that join an earlier one I bought from SP. P&C has Brushed Black and

Brushed Brown (referring to the finish) for $49.95. This is a great deal, and the pipes are fine smokers. I

don't think you'd go wrong. You might want to look unfinished Savenellis, about to be discontinued, but

also a great deal. They mellow in color with time and smoking, and do not have filters, and are great smoking

pipes. Maybe get one Stanwell and one Savenelli, so you'll have experience with both. Welcome to Forums.

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
"Estate pipe" is a pretentious phrase to be used instead of, "second hand." Some have been smoked and others may be in the box, unused, and unblemished.
Some of the members specialize in renewing used pipes. There are a couple of fascinating threads which document some interesting finds in stems and bowls.

dottiewarden

Lifer
Mar 25, 2014
Toronto
I have 3 Chacom pipes and they all smoke like a charm. But then aqain, so does my latest acquisition: a Stanislaw from the Czech Republic.

smeigs

Lifer
Jun 26, 2012
@tinner... sorry about that. Didnt mean for that comment to come out like that haha!

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
tobaccopipes.com has a few Chapuis-Comoy briar pipes in stock for about $30 to $45. These are good,

low cost French pipes that are well made and priced amazingly low, though last time I looked the selection

was limited, but for a beginner, this is a great way to build a rotation (a group of pipes that you rotate so

you can let them dry out after each smoking session).

dafox

Lurker
Jun 23, 2014
I have two of the lower priced Stanwell pipes, one of their higher end models, and a Church Warden from about seven years ago. All are fine smokers; all are lightweight. If you find one that fits your taste's and wallet, go for it. Savinelli is also a maker of fine pipes for the money. da fox

Status
Not open for further replies.