PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

maxcady

Lurker
Sep 15, 2014
What you think about this brand ? Find them ebay and cant sure it's good.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Handmade-SANMUOTAIN-Italy-Briar-Rustiacted-Cherry-hammer-Smoking-Tobacco-Pipe-/311064383910?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item486ce1d1a6

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Something funny going on here. It seems to be described as an Italian pipe, but they are offering free

shipping from China. So, is it an Italian company that makes its pipes in China, or ships them to China?

And why? The article below the ebay offering says handmade, but the ebay offering doesn't say this.

The price is good, but not great for an unfamiliar brand. You can get Stanwell Brushed Black pipes from

PC for $49.95, and they are a known entity and good pipes. There are plenty of other examples, and

other known brands. This is not a lot of money, if you want to make a gamble on it. Just don't expect

too much, and be ready to accept the loss if it isn't much of a pipe. We just don't know.

briarfanatic

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 27, 2013
Never heard of the brand. The seller is claiming it is from Italy, but no markings other than "sanmoutain"....and it is shipping directly from Shanghai, China.
The description is hilarious, though:
SANMOUTAIN briar pipe material, the main points of the Mediterranean coast.Its briar tree roots was born in crevices, its high density of roots, relatively lightweight, very resistant to burn, not afraid of fire.Raw strength for 20 years, can be used to make pipe.Its KeGuiChu, is not easy to gather;Want to find not be bug eat by moth, perfect stone nanmu, but also the difficulty of one out of thousands.Pipe quality standard: mainly by the age of the roots will distinguish, more old more valuable.A good fight about ten thousand to twenty thousand yuan.Art pipe, depends on the designer's ideas, see people think tank.

Heather root pipe is refers to the use of heather nodule as raw materials made of a pipe, heather nodule is suitable for the characteristics of the pipe:

First, heather root species and its growth environment, decides the heather, and especially the heather perennial root nodules thin wood, hard, although it was wood, have the quality like stone, and heather root has the characteristics of the block and resist high temperature, with the most basic characteristics of the material is used for pipe.

Second, heather root wood structure and growth characteristics, make it has a more outstanding than ordinary wood water absorption ability.Due to heather roots are small trees root, in the case of natural growth, its main function is to absorb soil moisture, the growth of supply heather, therefore, its structure is very suited to absorb water, so, tobacco and tobacco smoking streaming into the mouthpiece in the mouth saliva can be absorbed by heather root pipe as possible, to achieve the best effect of smoking and taste.

Third, heather root wood close, but compared to some hard wood heather root proportion is relatively light.We all know, the greater the proportion of wood, material more close, the more hard, and make pipe material selection is not too heavy, requires both fine, hard texture, asked for a small proportion, it is a pair of irreconcilable conflict, only can do by both heather root organic unification and combination.

Fourth, to enjoy the sweet of tobacco, so carrying instruments of tobacco, for pipe smoker is a pipe, must as far as possible pure, no peculiar smell, can make tobacco fragrance to the limit.Many wood because its material composition, secrete resin, gum, produce all kinds of smells, use this wood to make the pipe, it is inconceivable.Heather roots itself almost no irritating odor, repass to remove or neutralize the SAP wood, resin, tannic acid, and other harmful substances, storage in wet soil or straw for months, even longer time, then after 12 to 24 hours of high temperature cooking, then after several months of natural air drying, the final instar years, Chen storage that can make a pipe blank, in spite of this, before pipe production craftsmen to make a pipe, and the billet cook 12 hours with special oil, thoroughly remove any potential peculiar smell, make future maximum guarantee the quality of smoking his pipe.

Fifth, heather and beautiful wood grain, with clear and beautiful, after polishing made of pipe is its elegant."

maxcady

Lurker
Sep 15, 2014
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Italy-SAVINELLI-STANDING-Briar-The-giant-rock-Smoking-Tobacco-Pipe-/351156538281?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item51c28f8ba9

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Italy-SAVINELLI-STANDING-Briar-Flat-War-horn-Smoking-Tobacco-Pipe-/310997966473?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4868ec5e89
Also they're selling savinelli too. :/ Are you recommended any of them?
I live in far far a way and dont want to pay too much for shipping costs.Free shipping prefer generally.
Btw I'm very newbie for pipes but 4 years old cigar smoker.

briarfanatic

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 27, 2013
I personally would stick to Savinelli just because I generally know what to expect from the brand.
Good quality at good price.

maxcady

Lurker
Sep 15, 2014
http://www.ebay.com/sch/m.html?_odkw=savinelli&_ssn=sanwall&_armrs=1&_from=R40&_osacat=0&_from=R40&_trksid=p2046732.m570.l1313.TR0.TRC0.H0.Xpeterson&_nkw=peterson&_sacat=0

http://www.ebay.com/sch/m.html?_odkw=peterson&_ssn=sanwall&_armrs=1&_from=R40|R40&_osacat=0&_from=R40&_trksid=p2046732.m570.l1313.TR0.TRC0.H0.Xsavinelli&_nkw=savinelli&_sacat=0
Can you guys recommended to me one of them ?They're not write serie no so cant search any of them. It's not nessesery to use balsa system right?I'm full of questions.
Sorry for my bad english.

saltedplug

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
Certain woods render a toxic smoke. You can't just go by the maker's assertion that all is well and good with exotic wood. I think you could make buying a pipe a lot easier by going with a maker that is established. In the realm of affordable quality that usually means Savinelli, Peterson and Stanwell. Lately Pipes and Cigars has been offering other brands still more cheaply, but I don't know about their quality.

Status
Not open for further replies.