PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

wiz4rd

Lurker
May 6, 2017
Long story short I tried pipe 10 years ago, enjoyed it but it wasn't the right time in my life to really enjoy it.
I am now getting back into it and looking for some english blends. I just tried 6 1 ounce bulk samples from smokingpipes and below are the ones I tried. So far only one do I really like and thats the Dark English Full.
I found out I dislike perique because I hate spicy peppery notes, and dislike my tongue burninghe dark full is creamy, lots of flavor, and nice and sweet. I am looking for some suggestions along those lines.
Also looking for some virginia suggestions, I like fruit notes, sweetness, creamyness ect. I hate spicy peppery stuff lol.
Thanks in advance.
005-459-0041

Cornell & Diehl: Super Balkan

005-459-0006

Cornell & Diehl: Star of the East

005-341-0002

Dunhill: Nightcap

005-341-0003

Dunhill: My Mixture 965

005-341-0001

Dunhill: Early Morning Pipe

005-002-0023

McClelland: 5110 - Dark English Full

ericusrex

Lifer
Feb 27, 2015
Peterson's Balkan Delight and Nat Sherman's 536 are creamier English blends. You gotta also try Squadron Leader. More buttery than creamy but still mighty fine.

daytonsean

Lifer
Aug 28, 2012
Dayton
Peterson Old dublin is a great all day mixture. My personal favorite.
Macbaren vintage syrian is what i grab in the morning. Huge flavor.
Samuel gawith balkan flake has good flavor and is very cool. Cube cut and feed it in. Very good stuff.

rigmedic1

Lifer
May 29, 2011
I don't know where you live, but mail order is a wonderful thing. The Tobacco Corner in Memphis, Tennessee, has a cool smoking, Latakia heavy English that they call "Lord Nelson". To date one of the coolest smoking blends I ever tried. They also have one called "Abbey Road", which was milder and a bit more complex, due to red Virginia in the mix. Right now, I am smoking some C&D Vieux Carre, which has Latakia, Virginia, Katarini, Kentucky, and a smudge of Perique. It's very complex, and the flavors meld really well in a wide bowl like a Sav 320KS. It has a rum topping that burns off about a quarter way into the bowl, but after that, I think the taste is smokey, and the Virgina sweetness is counterbalanced with the sour note of the Katerini. I don't detect the Perique, which must be entirely condimental.

I compared the Lord Nelson, Abbey Road, and Russ Oulette's White Knight one weekend. White Knight was the more flavorful, and is heavy Latakia, and is a take on the Balkan Sobranie of old. The Lord Nelson was cooler, and I enjoyed it more. Comparing the three made for an interesting weekend, lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.