PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

jndyer

Lifer
Jul 1, 2012
Central Oregon
I have decided to give a few of the D&R tobaccos a go (a nice way to say that a wonderful case of TAD has set in). I have ordered one tin of each of the following blends: Picayune, Rimboche AP, Rimboche SJ and Don Giovanni Sigaro.
I am looking forward to trying all four blends; however, the Picayune and Don Giovanni have me the most intrigued. I am looking forward to seeing how strong Picayune is as I due like a healthy dose of nicotine on Friday afternoon or evening to celebrate the conclusion of another work week. For the Don Giovanni I have always wanted to know what cigar leaf does to a pipe blend.
By the way the order is scheduled to arrive on Friday, if the Northwest fires do not cause an unexpected delay.

weezell

Lifer
Oct 12, 2011
I don't find the Picayune that nic strong. However I'm immune it seems...

jaytex1969

Lifer
Jun 6, 2017
Here
I recently got some Cockstrong.
I've been enjoying it as a quick and simple morning smoke.
I'm interested in hearing about these others!
jay-roger.jpg

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
However I'm immune it seems...
So what do you think about Brown Twist Sliced?
D&R is failing because -- despite Mr. Ryan being a good fellow -- they are insisting that their substitutes are the quality of the original. Three Castles > Three Sails, and if you lie about that, you've lied about the rest of your business and need to be drummed out of the industry.

D&R is failing because -- despite Mr. Ryan being a good fellow -- they are insisting that their substitutes are the quality of the original. Three Castles > Three Sails, and if you lie about that, you've lied about the rest of your business and need to be drummed out of the industry.

I'm not sure I follow completely. All companies that make a sub or remake a blend entirely insist that their is exactly like the original. Just look at War Horse or even any of those McClelland/Dunhill subs or those H&H ones. Someone is going to say that it isn't exactly like the original. That would mean that all companies were deserving to be run out.
I'm not sure if D&R is currently failing. They seem to be getting picked up by more retailers and adding more selections.

weezell

Lifer
Oct 12, 2011
I have Brown Bogie,Brown Rope, plug, etc. No nic effect at all. Used to be able to buy Cotton Boll(spelling right?)around here to. Nic just does not bother me...

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
jiminks did an outstanding review of a menu of DR blends, though maybe not these, or all of these. I'd have to check back. He's a source I trust, and he seemed to find them generally good. Some, but not all, of the more reasonably priced brands are as good as higher end brands, if you shop selectively, in my opinion.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
D&R isn't failing. For the record, Mark blended Three Castles, of which Three Sails is the remake, so he probably knows what he'd doing, just like Russ did when he said there was no vanilla in Warhorse Bar. Another "got it wrong" from DM. But DM gets the attention he craves, which is really what this is all about.
Mark is producing some remarkable blending tobaccos. Russ' RO Acadian and RO Perique series are testimony to that. And Mark is producing some very good blends as well. I'm quite partial to VIP.

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
Cosmic said:
All companies that make a sub or remake a blend entirely insist that their is exactly like the original. Just look at War Horse
Maybe I misunderstand you here, Michael, but nobody connected with Standard Tobacco ever said that any of the War Horse products were exactly like the originals.

jndyer

Lifer
Jul 1, 2012
Central Oregon
jiminks did an outstanding review of a menu of DR blends
Yeah this is what pushed me over the edge to try some of the blends. Well that and them being on sale :)
I am curious to see how dry the blends are. I tend to dry my tobacco quite a bit, so I am hoping that is the level of dryness that these blend arrive in.
Finally, tobacco is suppose to arrive tomorrow; however, UPS had a late plane and they are saying the it will not arrive now until the next business day, which would be Monday, hopefully it still gets here on time as it is currently in Portland, Or and has been since 9:15am. I just need it to travel over the mountain and be in Bend by five AM, that way it gets on the truck for a mid afternoon delivery.

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
Jndyer: Glad to be of help. I like the prices, too. Quality tobacco at reasonable prices is hard to beat. And his tobaccos that Russ Ouellette used in the RO and Golden Triangle series are fantastic. In fact, the RO series blends are currently on sale at P&C in their "End of Summer Sale".

newbroom

Lifer
Jul 11, 2014
Florida
My only complaint about D&Rs is that I suck bags of them through my pipe faster than any other brands. I'm always hesitant to open a bag, because I know I'm going to lose control.

D&R blends are just what they're said to be; quality leaf tobaccos.

You don't have to break the bank, or crack open a tin, to enjoy any one of a wide variety of great tobaccos.

The one thing I haven't really explored is rehydrating. I think JimInks suggests this practice for many of the D&R blends as they do arrive w/o much moisture. I just pack tight and draw slowly. I still get lots of flavor and my pipe doesn't go out as much.

I'm still learning and at these prices, tuition doesn't break the bank.

Status
Not open for further replies.