PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

krizzose

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
Michigan
I’m working through a tin of Mac B Virgina Flake I jarred up 6 or 7 years ago, and it’s been a good reminder to me how first impressions of a blend are sometimes way off (and/or damn aging makes a huge difference!)
My first impressions of the tin when fresh was that it was very mild, kinda boring, but not bad. After ten or so bowls in the last month after opening the jar I am pleasantly surprised. While still a mild flake, there’s a persistent spicy bite to it that is really pleasant. There’s the typical MacB amorphous sweet casing that tastes like honey to me in this blend. The best way I can describe is like Darjeeling tea with a touch of honey. But like an actual spoonful of honey (or good olive oil for that matter) there’s a nice peppery bite at the back of the throat and in the retrohale that keeps this mild flake interesting. No bite at all, and the bright Virginia zestiness that was there when fresh is almost completely smoothed out. This will never be in the regular rotation for me, but I did buy a few tins to put away and find again several years from now.

Reactions: TheWhale13

sasquatch

Lifer
Jul 16, 2012
That one does change a lot with age, 3 years seems to be enough for it to go from pretty zesty (even a little testy) to very mellow indeed, although like you say, it retains just a touch of spice. I think it's great, even though it's not my absolute favorite. Mac Baren makes lots of really good virginias - both Capstans are excellent, and the Brunello Flake in the Savinelli series is super too.

Status
Not open for further replies.