PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
Keanu Reeves displays some very impressive gun handling and shooting skills here.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tpr8oqyjKIc

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
I must agree. I've never considered him to be a particularly good actor, although there were one or two roles I thought he did a good job with...such as in A Scanner Darkly.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
Wow, that is impressive!
Tom Cruise is frequently cited for his quick draw skill in the movie Collateral.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K3mkYDTRwgw

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
I haven't seen either one of those. Collateral looks interesting. That John Wick scene is a bit over-the-top for my taste, but I do appreciate the fact that he actually had to reload several times, instead of having the magic bottomless magazine that so many Hollywood firearms are equipped with.

fnord

Lifer
Dec 28, 2011
Topeka, KS
Until "John Wick" I always considered Reeves an okay enough actor - better suited to lighter roles like Jack Nicholson's MD in "Something's Gotta Give." But "Wick" showed he's got chops and it was a hell of a slam-bang movie, too. (Happy to see the sequel is in post production.)
Brian64, there's a lot of reloading in this film. Made me like it all the more.
And, Al? I know in my heart of hearts that Tom Cruise is nuttier than a peach orchard boar, but his movies always - and I mean always - entertain me. He knocked it out of the park with "Collateral" and it was pretty cool watching him go against type as the lead actor you wanted to see die. That lift wearing, Xenu worshiping nut job is not only talented but he's got a set of stones far, far larger than mine. That really was him hanging onto the side of the Airbus in "Mission Impossible - Rogue Nation" and I read somewhere it took them six takes. Six takes. Taking off, wired to the fuselage and climbing to 5000 feet. Ah, no thanks.
Fnord

lifesizehobbit

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 23, 2015
Totally agree on Tom Cruise; I think he's nutter than a sack of walnuts, but I also think he's probably the best action actor out there. To fnord's point, if there's a stunt, TC is probably the one doing it. My wife gave me Rogue Nation on Blu-Ray for Christmas this year and the bonus content has a complete rundown of the more complex training Cruise did for the stunts. So if you see him in a chase scene, he's driving. If you see him swimming underwater holding his breath, he's doing it.
Keanu is a bit too wooden to be an a-lister, but he's been in some good stuff. Original Matrix was great and FWIW, loved The Replacements.

philobeddoe

Lifer
Oct 31, 2011
East Indiana
I really enjoyed John Wick, I liked that his shot placement and his attention to follow up shots were deliberate. Too many films show the "good" guy shoot haphazardly at the baddies and they fall dead to the ground after one shot to the leg or gut, which just ruins the movie for me. Also, as to Tom Cruise...I didn't want to like Jack Reacher....but I did, it was actually very entertaining, in a Saturday afternoon kind of way!

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
I agree with all of the above regarding Cruise (including Jack Reacher...it was better than I expected it to be). I had heard something once before about him doing a lot of his own stunts, but didn't know how extensive it was. I'm much more interested in the movie itself than who is in it. Cruise just happens to have been in quite a few really good movies...and I think he's a good actor as well (not quite a great one). A lot of people love to hate him, but for the most part, I couldn't care less about the personal lives of any of these celebrities.

lifesizehobbit

Oct 23, 2015
Jack Reacher is a serial character in Lee Child novels; same back story MP Captain investigator ambling town-to-town getting embroiled/accused.
Matthew McConnaughy was in Lincoln Lawyer (along with a small appearance by Michael Pare); both are serial characters in Michael Connelly books.
Matthew McCannaughy was also in Sahara as Dirk Pitt, a serial character in Clive Cussler novels.
I like to read all of the authors, but as one can expect, the books can become a bit formulaic.
Gary Busey did play/sing in The Buddy Holly Story.
Ok - think I'm done for the moment. :)

fnord

Lifer
Dec 28, 2011
Topeka, KS
LSH: I'm with you on "The Replacements." That was the great Jack Warden's last film and Brooke Langton never looked more beautiful. Hell, the entire cast from Jon Favreau to Rhys Ifans were all so likable.
And, Philo, I didn't want to like Jack Reacher either. Cruise is a shrimp compared to the actual 6 foot five inch Reacher, but Cruise carried it off on personality alone and and making his character watchable. However, I have to admit, I've been a Cruise fan ever since I saw him in Taps in 1981. He chewed up every scene in that film and I've been a fan ever since.
He'll never win an Academy Award but I'm sure the Academy of Motion Pictures Arts and Sciences will eventually award him the The Jean Hersholt Humanitarian Award for just making serious bank over four to five decades in Hollywood.
Fnord

jvnshr

Staff member
Sep 4, 2015
Baku, Azerbaijan
Keanu did an amazing job in John Wick for sure. When I heard about John Wick: Chapter Two I was glad that they were going for a sequel. Reeves trained really hard for all those fight scenes
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ip2tNK0Zq1A

jkrug

Lifer
Jan 23, 2015
Good shooting and his shooting partner in the other clip wasn't too shabby either. :wink:

Aug 14, 2012
I photographed actors for many years. Thousands of them. What I can report is not surprising. Most are mental midgets, but the successful actors are the smart ones.

fnord

Lifer
Dec 28, 2011
Topeka, KS
Great clip, Jvnshr.
Cruise might be - hell, is - otherworldly and Reeves isn't the most natural guy out there, but those two cats have careers spanning three decades each. Pretty impressive in our all to easily thrown away society.
Just through dedication alone I'd put both in Foggy's "smart" category.
Brian64, your thread was not intentionally hijacked. (However, KR did remain a high point.) But you've got my apologies if offended.
Fnord

lifesizehobbit

Oct 23, 2015
Brian64 - I too offer my apologies for any high-jacking. Your post just spurred me to think of similar indvidiuals. You are correct though, KR truly trained and shows proficiency with those weapons. I don't think I could do as well and I'm a veteran with training. :)

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
The thought that there was any kind of hijacking here never even occurred to me lol. No problem at all guys...I appreciate your comments. I enjoy a conversation expanding and branching out in whatever way it naturally wants to. Keeping it controlled and narrow is boring. A thread like this is just for fun, and everything that's been said here is on topic anyway imo.
Great clip, Jvnshr.
Cruise might be - hell, is - otherworldly and Reeves isn't the most natural guy out there, but those two cats have careers spanning three decades each. Pretty impressive in our all to easily thrown away society.
I couldn't agree more. Prior to seeing both of these clips, I never knew KR was so dedicated. He deserves a lot of respect for that even if other aspects of his acting is somewhat limited. And after all of the high marks given by you guys, I guess I'm going to have to get around to watching John Wick.
I photographed actors for many years. Thousands of them. What I can report is not surprising. Most are mental midgets, but the successful actors are the smart ones.
That's really interesting Foggy. If you've got any related stories to tell, it'd be interesting to hear them.

Mar 30, 2014
wv
Steven Segal is a real life badass. They would make him slow down his movements for movie scenes. He is also a sharp shooter that teaches polices officers special tactics.

Status
Not open for further replies.