PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

scurvydog

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 23, 2012
I haven’t been here too long so it may have been mentioned before. I just opened a tin of Solani Silver Flake that I purchased back in Nov or Oct. so it has not been sitting for too long. It’s a fantastic smoke, however I write this as a warning. The tobacco is packaged in a loosely sealed cellophane bag inside the unsealed tin and is far from air tight. If you plan on cellaring Solani I would seal it in something else, otherwise is will be as dry as a popcorn fart in a short time.
Back to the smoke….if you are new to flakes this would be a perfect blend to try. Rich flavor, no heavy vitamin “N”, and stayed lit all the way to bottom of bowl. Enjoy!

dragonslayer

Lifer
Dec 28, 2012
Pittsburgh
It's on my try list, close to the bottom though. Would like to see some reviews from people. Roth have you tried this one? Answer to unsealed tins that are in plastic. Best thing would be to jar it. Is your hung on the tin, you can always stick the tin in a jar, not sure if the plastic will impart some nasty flavor, and it will allow for minor amounts of oxygen in, this will take a long time for the conversion aerobic to anaerobic bacteria to take place. Maybe line the tin with so waxy (not wax) paper, and place it in the tin instead of the baggie, and put tin and all in jar for long term storage. I've not put a lot of thought into this situation yet. This one falls outside the G.L. Pease gospel.
Craig

fitzy

Lifer
Nov 13, 2012
NY
I picked up a tin a few weeks ago and one of my favorite Virginia's so far. Really good. Both Roth and Harris recommended it.
I took mine out as soon as I got it and stuffed it in a mason jar.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
roth, great review.
I do enjoy Silver Flake quite a bit( ordered 30 tins in the last week) and think it is a world class blend. The Kentucky and Virginia's work so well together and it is I think the easiest flake to smoke. It comes perfectly humidified, and it burns brilliantly when I cube cut it. It burns to a fine grey ash every time. It does need to be jarred on arrival because the tin is not vacuum sealed, so there is additional cost but it is well worth it. I think R. Will is a freaking genius as he also makes another favorite of mine with 633. If anyone is a burley lover, many consider his Aged Burley Flake to be a masterpiece.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
roth, have you tried his 633 yet? It is in my top 4 Vaper flakes and it ages incredibly well. I recently scored 6 100 gram tins of 2002 633 and was blown away at how the perique had developed compared to my fresh stuff. It got so much stronger and more peppery and it reminded me of how Three Nuns does a similar thing after 10 years. The packaging back then was different also, the 633 came in the same non vacuum sealed tin as the Silver flake, but it was in a gold colored almost aluminum foil bag that kept the tobacco completely moist. It was much moister than how the Silver Flake and the 633 of today comes. I actually have to dry it out after cube cutting it where as the new 100 gram and 50 gram 633's are ready to smoke. I just got in some 100 gram 633 and it is exactly like the Silver Flake packaging. When I first saw the 2002 633 I was like oh shit, it is going to be all dried out, but was obviously relieved when I saw the different inside packaging and that the flakes were quite moist.

chargerucd

Might Stick Around
Jan 24, 2013
hello,

I have just bought a tin of solani s otch whiskey blend 131 from 2005 !!!
ARE THOSE TINS SEALED??
or did I just buy some dry-@$$ tobacco?????

Status
Not open for further replies.