PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

andya27

Part of the Furniture Now
Jun 15, 2014
A package arrived from my favorite vendor yesterday. It included a new Peterson, a new Kiribi lighter, Full Virginia Flake (which I haven't smoked before) and some Solani Aged Burley Flake.
I know conventional wisdom says to break in a pipe with tobaccos that we know well. Forget that. I filled the Peterson B5 about halfway with the new Solani and took to smoking an early smoke in this wonderful autumn weather.
Amazing tobacco. Conventional wisdom also suggests that the first few smokes in a new pipe may not be all that great - especially Petersons which have a reputation for breaking in slowly. But this was an amazing smoke.
My previous experiences with Burley-based tobaccos were Peterson Irish Flake, Semois (I know, technically it's not a Burley), and Prince Albert. This Solani is nothing like any of those. It is...dare I say...magical. It's the second Solani tobacco I've tried, and I love the Silver Flake. This Burley Flake is even better. Where my experience with Burleys had been at best ok, this tobacco absolutely shines. It doesn't dry out my mouth like the other Burleys I've smoked. There wasn't any "nuttiness" to the aroma or the taste. There was actually a sweetness that I hadn't expected. Room note is superb. No bite. Burned slowly and evenly down to the bottom of the bowl - in a maiden smoke of a new pipe.
Tomorrow I'll be placing an order for at least another six tins of the stuff. It's that good.
And as for the Kiribi Kabuto - what a pleasant surprise. I was waffling between this and an Old Boy. I spoke with a couple folks at my preferred vendor, and they suggested I go with the Kiribi. Glad I did. It has everything you need and nothing of what you don't need. Very easy to adjust the flame with your thumbnail. Far superior to the Mr Brog lighters I'd been using.
As for the Peterson - a pleasant surprise in that it will not take much to break in. I will say that for around $100 you do not get the same level of finish as with a Savinelli, but for some reason I just prefer Petersons. It's my first Peterson Fishtail - and I like it. The color on this Killarney is quite attractive, even if there is a fill or two in the briar.
In a bit I'll try the other tobacco that came with the package - Full Virginia Flake.

leacha

Jun 19, 2013
Colorado
Nice write up and pic! I just replied on another forum how ODF is the "in" baccy right now and its shame 656 is getting pushed aside.

darwin

Apr 9, 2014
I was initially skeptical that the little "wing" on the Kabuto was going to be of much use but skeptic I am no longer.
Nice imagery by the way.

andya27

Jun 15, 2014
Yes the wing on the Kabuto makes opening easier. I too was put off by it until it arrived.

wyfbane

Lifer
Apr 26, 2013
Tennessee
Sounds delicious. I may have to try the Burley flake. There was a guy on here that used to swear by the Solani Silver Flake 660.
Thanks for the post!

cobguy

Lifer
Oct 18, 2013
I don't know why more people don't talk about this great tobacco.
Because, then there would be threads along the lines of, "ABF is in .... get yours fast!!" :)

Status
Not open for further replies.