PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

philous

Lurker
Jul 30, 2016
what do you think about softy bits , are those things really helpful , or is it better not to use the , and if you think so how can i fix teeth marks from my stem.

Do what you like, but I'd rather be gagged with a baseball and have it held tight with duct tape. Terrible things. They are my pipes, and they will have my tooth marks, because that is the natural consequence of smoking a pipe. I will never resale them, and I don't care a hill of beans about keeping them pristine. They will be piled on my funeral pyre and sent with me the next world. But, do what you like. :wink:

darwin

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 9, 2014
They are great for people like me with dental problems. Unless I hold a pipe in my hand the whole time I can no longer smoke without them. I had no problem switching to them and they feel normal by now.

darwin

Apr 9, 2014
They can also be had in two different sizes and a clear version. The 9mm works for most regular stems and the 12mm work well for the many wide lipped stems that abound today.

You can also cut some sections of clear tubing used with aquarium equiptment. Or, those heat shrinking sections of black rubber found in the elctrical section at Home Depot. Then just heat them with a lighter or heat gun for a perfect fit. I don't use any of these, but forum members have mentioned them over the years.

darwin

Apr 9, 2014
"Are they of the same quality? "
To me they seem the same period. I've looked at both the aquarium tubing and heat shrink tubing. The aquarium tubing seems too stiff and un-stretchy and the heat-shrink material is too thin to provide much cushioning. I'm speaking here of tooth comfort and not bite mark protection. Also I have seen much smaller packs than 100 of softys on Amazon and Ebay. Pretty much any size and combo can be found here:
Softys

checotah

Feb 7, 2012
Have never used them. I smoke my pipes as they are. Have had a lot of stems replaced over the last 53 years, including some nice ones like my pre-Transition Barling Ye Olde Wood. I don't care about collectivity, nor about appearance. Don't have heirs, so the only thing important to me is how it smokes. When I'm gone, I will not be concerned about what happens to them.

jvnshr

Staff member
Sep 4, 2015
Baku, Azerbaijan
Using softy bits is a personal choice. Some love them and other hate them. I used to smoke my pipes without softy bits. After a while I realized that I leave huge teeth marks on the stems so I ordered some to give it a try. At the moment I am using softy bits both on my Peterson P-lip vulcanite stem and Nording acrylic stem. I just love them. It feels comfortable and easy to clench.

paulfg

Lifer
Feb 21, 2016
Corfu Greece
I bought some softy bits from ebay ,came from china.Absolute rubbish didnt stay on the stem even though tight when fitted also bit through in no time.

I then bought BJ long ones from US much better quality but was disapointed to see what looks like small cracks appear on the side of the stem in the rubber like the rubber has perished .Only used them for less than a month.

I now dont use them at all but do worry about stem damage,I dont know why as I am like checotah .When I go the pipes will probably be thrown in the rubbish bin

fitzy

Lifer
Nov 13, 2012
NY
I smoked pipes for probably 20 years without them but ever since I tried one I wish I started with them sooner.

jerwynn

Lifer
Dec 7, 2011
I try them from time to time... especially on certain forms of acrylic bit/stems that squeak against my teeth(which I patently do NOT like!). I enjoy the "soft" bite sensation, but I find that from time to time that nasty draft-hole puke stealthily regurgitates and hides in between the rubber bit and mouthpiece til I bite just the wrong way and get a disgusting surprise! Derned if I do, derned if I don't.

Status
Not open for further replies.