PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

exbenedict

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 6, 2018
Ok, quick question, soft pipe stem tips, yes or no? I have found that I like to multitask a lot when smoking in the garage and so I tend to clench. Should I invest in a batch of the soft tips to help reduce chatter on the stems and to help keep my jaw from cramping after a long day outside, or are they a waste of money? Thanks!

ashdigger

Lifer
Jul 30, 2016
Vegas Baby!!!
I hate softy bits. I only clench and have never had a problem smoking MY pipes without the pipe condom on. I primarily smoke pipes with vulcanite stems, so YMMV.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
I use them and enjoy them, though it it possible to clench without jaw fatigue and reduce chatter. Instead of biting down, hang the pipe from your bottom teeth and balance it with your top teeth so that the pipe is kind of dangling.

lasttango

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 29, 2012
Wilmington, De / Ithaca, NY
I am a big clencher and I love them. I also put them on all my acrylic stemmed pipes because those hard plastic acrylic stems feel horrible on my teeth.
Some folks here have said that they can taste the rubber or that they just don't like the feeling.
In the end, use them if you like them. They are certainly not a waste of money if they enhance smoking for you.
I frequently throw a handful in when I order from SP or P&C.

coyja

Can't Leave
Feb 10, 2018
Spinning ball of dirt
I use them, but I can't say I love them.

I feel like they make me clench harder than I would otherwise.
If I thought I could readily get replacement stems, I wouldn't use them at all.

I have plenty of backup danish stems for my cobs, so I am currently experimenting with one cob with a softie bit, and one without, and seeing how quickly I wear out the stem without.
But it for my briars it seems that the market out there is weird/nonexistent for some stems, or expensive otherwise.

So, for the cost savings alone, it seems worth it.

Jul 12, 2011
I also have used them in the past, but found that they take away too much of the enjoyment and comfort of a well made button ,so I stopped using them.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Tried 'em, disliked 'em.
Warning: Unless my saliva is unusually toxic, you should remove the bit after a smoke and wipe down the stem, unless you don't care about discoloring the stem.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Depends on your teeth and your taste. I use a softie on one pipe, a cob with a stock stem; I tend to chew through those. My other cobs either came with acrylic stems or are retrofitted with them. Softies can discolor stems and probably require extra care to keep them clean. Some folks buy a length of tubing and cut it into softies. Just be sure the material is something that is food-grade safe, not volatile or flammable. Otherwise, it's just a matter of comfort and personal taste.

Jun 27, 2016
These are pretty polarizing, people love 'em or hate 'em. I like them because I have sensitive teeth. Also what would happen without one is that my bottom jaw would sometimes slip forwards unexpectedly while clenching, causing the pipe to flip up and bounce back down, usually with some ash or tobacco flying out and landing on me. :puffy:

Oct 7, 2016
I am a dangler. However, some bits just flat don't lend themselves to that technique. These tend to be larger, wider bits, at least for me. The rubber tips available now through US channels are too narrow without some modification or extreme effort. Larger ones are available from China on eBay. I got some 12mm ones that work fine, but they are thinner and don't last as long. Good use of eBay bucks. You will find sizes from 9 to 12 mm, 12 mm black seem to be in short supply right now. Phrase should contain something like Softy Rubber Tobacco Pipe tips.

saltedplug

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
I didn't use them for 12 years without tearing up stems. Then I "quit" smoking for a year and when I came back began tearing up stems, so I began using them. I'd rather not but have adjusted to them. Sounds like you might give them a try, and if you don't like them you can always stop.

badbeard

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 9, 2017
Kentucky, USA
I bought a bunch of the BJ Long softy bits with the intention of using them on all my pipes, more for protecting the stem than for comfort. After trying them on every pipe, I decided that they weren't for me and I am just careful not to bite down hard enough to leave deep impressions. My thought is that the pipe maker has gone to great effort to make sure that the stem and button is functional, comfortable, and enjoyable, and that is how it should be smoked. It's worth noting though, that I will not clench new pipes until I've smoked them enough to decide that they are "forever" pipes. After that, if I do leave some chatter it is just a sign that my pipes are well loved.
I ended up giving my stash of them to my dad, and he loves them. He can't clench a regular hard stem due some dental issues, so this was a huge improvement for him. Like previously mentioned above, he cut the button off of all of them with a razor before using because he felt they were too bulky as-is.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
The thickness issue can also be solved by sliding the softy just past the bit.

Jul 28, 2016
Finland-Scandinavia-EU
obviously, I'm a clencher and since I do lots of driving I ought to get accustomed to bits or silicone self-adhesive tape, primarily in order to reduce tooth chatter marks,but so far I've found no significant success in using them, I feel them being very uncomfortable and clumsy and hate using them.

joeman

Can't Leave
Mar 6, 2016
South Carolina
They're worth the money, for the very reasons you originally said you use them. If you're a clencher, they'll protect your bit, and they're also easier on your teeth. I like the feel of the button, so when I'm sitting and not clenching...I do not use the softie.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
I would rather have an ice pick in my brain pan before using those things. Just the thought of that rubber thing getting all nasty with saliva and tobacco juice makes me want to hurl. I have a pipe buddy who loves them as he can clench a 100 gram pipe with ease using them on his acrylic stems. I bust his balls unmercifully when he comes over. I have never seen anyone clench the size pipes he does. I am talking Ardor giants and pipes like that.

Status
Not open for further replies.