PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

pipingruotsi

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 6, 2013
Nearly all the pipes I've owned for a while have stems chattered with tooth marks. Nothing really deep, but I've never liked the way it looks. I've tried the softy bits, but they always felt bulky. Recently, I stopped clenching all together for a time in an effort to stop the chatter. Well, it turned out to be impractical for me to put the pipe down every time I need two hands. So I started again.

Now, I've noticed that my recently acquired pipes with clean stems are remaining clean! I think I've been more selective with the pipes I use when I may do more concentrating on what I'm doing rather than what I'm smoking. I've also tried to make sure my jaw stays relaxed while clenching.

Could it be? Have I learned the Art of the Labrador? The Soft Mouth

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Acrylic and lucite type stems get no teeth marks if you can use them. Even my oldest pipes, we're

talking 35 plus years here, haven't chewed through, but the vulcanite stems do show some grooves at the

bit. However, if you've learned extra secrets from your bird dog, I'd say you have a good mentor there.
Critters have a lot to teach when we can suck up our human arrogance.

shaintiques

Lifer
Jul 13, 2011
Georgia
I prefer lucite for that reason and also because it doesn't oxidize. That doesn't mean I don't have or smoke Vulcanite, but it does factor in my decision to buy a pipe.

pipingruotsi

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 6, 2013
Well, I've managed to put chatter on acrylic too. lol
And, yes, I try to pay attention to what my dog is doing as much as possible, for more than one reason. :wink:
My dog is an amazingly versatile chewer. She can pick things up as gently as you could imagine or ruin a toy in less than thirty minutes. She only gets Nylabones and rubber balls now. It's the only thing I know I won't have to buy again for a couple months.
@shaintiques, it would for me too, but I really like the mouthfeel of vulcanite

kashmir

Lifer
May 17, 2011
Northern New Jersey
Get yourself some surgical thin-walled rubber rubbing. The kind they use when you give blood. Cut some rings. Place one behind the button where your teeth go. Easily removed before cleaning and racking. Chatter-proof clenching.
IMAG1347-1-1.jpg

IMAG1349-1-1.jpg

fitzy

Lifer
Nov 13, 2012
NY
Man I love those softy bits. Protect my teeth and my pipe as I'm a big time clencher.

Status
Not open for further replies.