PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

pipeanddrum

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 5, 2016
I started smoking a pipe about 10 months ago and have always used soft bits. I am a clencher and like to hold the pipe between my back teeth for the most part, keeping my hands free to read and write posts in this forum on my phone :) I now have about 20 pipes of different sizes, shapes, weight, and material (cob and briar) each with a soft bit. I recently added a nice nos zulu which has a wider button than all of my other pipes and found that the soft bit feels cumbersome on it. The last time I smoked it I took the soft bit off mid bowl and was pleasantly surprised by the difference it made. I felt I had better control of my draw, being able to more finely control how I pulled the smoke through the stem without the bit in the way as I was able to place the stem in my mouth in different positions than the added bulk of the soft bit would allow. There is a part of me that likes the idea of "protecting" the stem with the rubber bit, keeping it free of bite marks and chatter but I'm considering taking the bits off all my pipes, maybe except for the cobs (to have the option of clenching), to see how the smoking experience differs without them. I don't like to clench the bare stem because it doesn't feel as comfortable to do so without the soft rubber. This forces me to hold the pipe in hand which makes me more conscious of how hot the bowl gets while smoking, in effect forcing me to slow my pace. What are your thoughts on and experiences with the soft bits?

mackeson

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 29, 2016
Sounds like you took to them more than I did. At one point, I thought soft bits were a great idea. Then I tried one. I personally did not like the feel or the thickness. A couple times since, I've put one on a "driving" pipe and quickly remembered why I don't use them. However, I never noticed a difference in smoking quality

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Slowing your pace may be a fine idea; you should be aware how hot the bowl gets; one piece of feedback!
I have a half dozen softies in my drawer I just don't use.
As to clenching, perhaps try different locations on the teeth.
Good luck!

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Softies have some good uses, but they're not trouble free. Some folks' teeth just need that protection. People who clench a lot may need them. With MM cob pipes, they keep the soft stems from chewing through. Others may just find them comfortable. But softies have to be kept clean, the stem under them especially. They can get funky. Some people make them for almost nothing from appropriate sized tubing; just be sure you find tubing that doesn't give off residue. I mostly don't use them, but use them as needed.

stranger

Might Stick Around
Apr 27, 2016
I use them on the majority of my pipes but I'm not in love with them. I have found that if I'm not trying to clench a pipe it causes me to stand around or sit around and focus more on the pipe.

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
I have a large "weight forward" meer on which I use a softie. I've already put a K-9 through it and the bit can't be readily or perfectly duplicated. So the softie allows me to smoke it without further damage. I really do not find them uncomfortable, just an adjustment to the "feel" of them. Have used them when necessary for years.

M

mothernaturewilleatusallforbreakfast

I tried one once, for a minute or two, and then threw it away.

Jun 27, 2016
They protect the pipe bit and my teeth, so I like them. The ones I got marked EA Carey in a 25 pack off of ebay last a lot longer than the natural rubber 2-packs. I imagine that the carey ones are not natural rubber though. It helps me to soak the "rubber" bit in warm water to soften it up a little right before install, and to keep a little water in front of it when getting it in place. Also I tend to put these on when the stem is detached from the bowl, just seems to be a better idea that way.

ericthered

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 29, 2014
Suffolk, VA
When I first picked up the pipe a few years ago I thought I would prefer softee bits, but I very quickly discovered that the extra thickness was causing me muscle fatigue in my jaw. For me, clenching a pipe is less about biting down on the stem and more about holding the flanged part of the bit against my teeth, so I have forsaken softee bits altogether.

jdhayes

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 15, 2016
I used them for a while, but as some have already said, the thickness got uncomfortable. I just pay more attention to how hard I am clenching now. Plus they sometimes give off a taste. I never used them on cobs, you can get replacement stems for them for dirt cheap.

pipeanddrum

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 5, 2016
Thanks for all the input. I'm definitely going to take the softee bits of my briars at least and see how the experience goes. I've noticed on occasion that using the soft bits has given me a bit of TMJ pain which is further reason to get rid of them. Though I do still have to find a way to 'clench' on the bare stem that is comfortable and get used to the idea of adding chatter or bite marks on them. All part of the pleasure of the hobby I guess.

crashthegrey

Lifer
Dec 18, 2015
Cobleskill, NY
www.greywoodie.com
It's worth trying. See what you like better. I find a groove in my stems, each pipe finds a home and naturally stays there. The chatter is pretty limited once it is comfortable, usually a few bowls in I find where it likes to hang.

newbroom

Lifer
Jul 11, 2014
Florida
I tried em too. At first I thought it was ok and I'd be saving my stems. Later I thought they detracted from rather than added to the comfort of the stem and I'd learned to control my clench better, so I pulled em all.

Much better for ME.

They would be good if you're driving a tractor, probably.

codecreatively

Can't Leave
Sep 17, 2014
I got a handful of them, but didn't like how thick they made the bit. If they made a thin softy bit, I would give it another shot.

pipeanddrum

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 5, 2016
I think a thin soft bit is a great idea. One that is uniform in thickness and doesn't have a bulky end/button.

Status
Not open for further replies.