PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mar 1, 2014
This is probably a unique problem, but maybe an interesting topic nonetheless.

Recently I've been doing a lot of cooking for myself, and oddly enough I'm trying to be a responsible person so I try to choose healthy foods. Lightly boiled vegetables, Eggs, Milk, Pasta with diced tomatoes, etc... Except there wasn't a whole lot on the "etc". And I've noticed that whenever introduced to things like Pizza I get somewhat of a ravenous urge.

Last week I bought a few bags of potato chips and it actually seemed like a pretty good addition to my diet. So finally I clue in and start counting the sodium I'm taking in every day.

The surprising part is things I thought were high in sodium actually aren't. Margarine is next to nothing, Pasta has pretty much nothing unless you add it.

Bread is high, Cereal is high, and canned tomatoes were one of the highest things on the list, but if I eat everything in my scheduled diet (low on meat and probably needs more friut) I only get to 96.5%, but sometimes I forget one thing or another, or ingredients run out mid week.

Then we get to the question of how the recommended percentage is calculated?

Everywhere I look I'm seeing "more than 1500mg and less than 2300mg", and if you look at the Wiki for Hyponatremia all they give you is molar equivalent per liter of blood. The only sources for this kind of information that seem to want to give someone a useful number, like grams per Kg of body mass, are concerned with equine diet.

And then there's activity levels.
So who knows how much salt a healthy 200lb man (ideal weight) is actually supposed to eat?

One thing I know for sure is that the bag of chips I just polished off feels pretty good right now (which was actually only worth 73% of the "recommended daily intake").
I never would have thought that "needs more salt" would be the conclusion of an analysis of a diet I actually chose for myself.

mephistopheles

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 14, 2014
You should make it a priority to meet with a certified nutritionist (or two and compare what they say) if you're really concerned about your daily intake. I would say if you're close to the daily recommended value or even a chunk less, then you're probably fine. There is a lot of modern literature that paints salt as being the enemy in high doses and there have been many arguments presented by reputable professionals over the years that have called for the listed daily value to be lowered (sometimes significantly). I'm told that dehydration despite having available fluids is a sign of sodium deficiency and the first red flag.
Also, in regard to a small rotation of ingredients... According to my anthropology classes, early man thrived on a diverse diet that was a result of our hunter-gatherer lifestyle. When farming communities were created we ended up eating more steadily and with larger portions, but a tendency to eat only foods that appealed to us (and that we could grow) became the norm. This in turn effected health negatively due to a lack of nutritional diversity. It makes sense to me!

phil67

Lifer
Dec 14, 2013
I'm a salt addict (not good) and occasionally I'll place a little food on my salt.

cobguy

Lifer
Oct 18, 2013
Do you have any blood pressure problems, kidney problems, etc?
The human body does not actually NEED any more than a 1/4 tsp or so a day.
If you have a condition that requires a lower sodium diet, then the 1500 mg mark is a good start.
I worked with a guy that loved his salty foods and would always remark that salt "warded off dangerously low blood pressure". :)
Check out this link for some more info: http://www.ucsfhealth.org/education/guidelines_for_a_low_sodium_diet/

Mar 1, 2014
Over the last decade the doctors around here have been running me through a myriad of tests looking for "something" (probably just satisfying their curiosity at the expense of the Canadian healthcare system) and finally the new South African doctor in town just said "you're normal".

So, if anything obvious was wrong it would have been found years ago. If there's something not obvious, it's beyond the capabilities of the doctors around here.

I'm just figuring out what a "normal" diet looks like when I cook it myself.

Mar 1, 2014
Cobguy thanks for the link.
In fact, your body needs only 1/4 teaspoon of salt every day.
So that's 1250mg/day minimum, though they seem to use "salt" and "sodium" interchangeably, when salt is actually only 50% sodium.

So is that 2500mg of Salt? 625mg of Sodium?
Dietary websites are not very good with numbers.

mephistopheles

Oct 14, 2014
Doctors have given me the runaround too. I know exactly what that feels like.
I was tempted to share this link with you in my first post but wasn't sure if it was something you'd be interested in: http://www.amazon.com/Seven-Steps-Dr-Pierre-Dukan/dp/2952664498/ref=asap_bc?ie=UTF8
The link is to a book called "The Seven Steps" by Dr. Pierre Dukan. It was suggested to me by a friend who was trying to maintain a healthy weight (he struggles with being underweight). I know of Pierre Dukan from his last book, "The Dukan Diet" which I read and put into practice last fall for the diet portion of an advanced running course that I took at my college. I ended up losing 16.5 lbs in 6 weeks between the two and got into a significantly better routine. While you might not be looking to lose weight, The Seven Steps seems to focus on getting into a regular routine and maintaining a proper diet (and in turn weight). Dukan's diets have helped me lose weight and have helped my friend gain weight. It sounds bizarre, but the idea is to fix whatever is missing in our regular diets and help us to get into a routine for the long term. If nothing else it's an interesting read on the subject of nutrition.
If you're looking for recipe books there are none better than the Williams-Sonoma Collection. There is a wide variety of cookbooks that range from a focus on breakfast to Asian cuisine. Each book has it's own theme. Here is a link to the soups cookbook - I really love it: http://www.amazon.com/Williams-Sonoma-Collection-Diane-Rossen-Worthington/dp/0743224442/ref=pd_bxgy_14_text_y
Hopefully what I've written helps in some way. I apologize if this isn't what you're looking for as far as "normal" and healthy goes, Frozen. I certainly don't mean to go off-topic.

Mar 1, 2014
A pre-planned diet does sound like something that might do me some good right about now.
Funny thing, I knew a guy years back who could not gain weight, his metabolism simply would not allow it and he needed an extra 20lbs to get on the police force. Eventually they let him in anyway and he was very fit so I'm sure it's just fine, but it's funny how different people react to food.

I could probably gain weight eating sticks and grass.

mephistopheles

Oct 14, 2014
I could probably gain weight eating sticks and grass.
That's exactly how I feel most of the time. I added both pea and whey protein to my routine using them as a meal/snack replacement. Thankfully they are cheap enough that I can get two big ole tubs on my measly student budget. Cutting the calories worked wonders in slimming me down and maintaining my muscle mass. To make up for whatever deficiencies I had created with the meal/snack replacement shakes I'd take a multi-vitamin. After about a week I felt 10x better and had a sense that I was eating in a more "clean" like fashion if that makes sense.

tarak

Lifer
Jun 23, 2013
South Dakota
Calculating some magical exact of salt intake based in some consumed amount per kg, as our bodies all handle salt differently and it's quite complicated how we process it related to cellular function, renal function, etc. I'm not even sure why you are so concerned with salt intake. Mostbpeople in developed countries will get plenty without issues. And, if you had some need to have more sodium, chips aren't the way to go, as your saturated fat intake is doing you no favors.
Yes, table salt is sodium chloride, but for the purposes of your health you can use "salt" and "sodium" interchangeably.
Finally, I carry some bias here, but anyone who has had any more medical training beyond whatever they've recently googled will realize most doctors aren't "running you around" - rather you cannot fathom the complexity of the human body and the mind boggling differential diagnosis that exist, and human beings lack of patience and sense of entitlement.

May 4, 2015
Throw back a Gatorade once a day or something. That should give you all the electrolytes you need! You should consult a doctor, though. A blood test will tell you what your body is doing.

huntertrw

Lifer
Jul 23, 2014
The Lower Forty of Hill Country
"Sodium Deficiency?"
Not in the case of Lot's wife:
th

Status
Not open for further replies.