PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Feb 6, 2012
So I have been partaking in the finer variety of cigarette lately in addition to my usual pipe and tobacco. I was able to get a pack of Sobranie Black Russians from a seller on eBay in Armenia, but alas that supply has dried up when I want more.
Does anyone have any clue how to get some of these delicious tobacco treats in the U.S.? The only thing I can find searching online is a bunch of really shady 'buy cheap cigs OMGWTF.com' sites that I really don't feel too confident in. So is there a super secret way to get some Sobranies, or am I SOL?

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
Someone had posted here about a Russian site that was trustworthy. Not being a cigarette smoker, though, I didn't bookmark it.

dryseason91

Can't Leave
Oct 10, 2013
Dublin, Ireland
How do they taste, out of curiosity? I've never been able to taste any real difference between cigarette brands, and I've smoked plenty. Even the supposedly quality ones like Dunhill Internationals just seem like Marlboros in fancy packs.

condorlover1

Lifer
Dec 22, 2013
New York
Actually I have several packs of real Russian cigarettes called Belomora Canal which have about an inch and a half of tobacco and the rest is a card board tube. I opened one pack and have two unopened in the fridge. PM if you want them and they are yours!

cacooper

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 28, 2009
Parker, CO
Sobranie Black Russians - Absolutely the BEST cigarette ever made. Velvet smooth and rich in flavor from mainly Turkish tobacco. Almost a slight Latakia aftertaste. Really superb and unlike any other cigarette.
Gauloises filters are another unique smoke. Very strong and they take some getting used to. They have a toasted cigar-like flavor. I found some while in Europe last summer. No Black Russians though. Amazing selection of cigarettes in Germany and Austria. And much better tasting than anything offered in the U.S. now that the FDA is involved. Shame.
CACooper

Aug 14, 2012
To my taste the regular white paper Sobranie cigarettes were the best . I smoked them for several years. Nothing tasted as good, not even Sobranie pipe tobacco. They came in regular and thick sizes, no filter or tip. Try them if you can find some. They cost 10 cents each back then, hate to imagine the price now.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
This certainly brings back some memories! Used to be that you could buy Sobranie at any decent tobacconist in LA. My favorite were the Chaliapin cigarettes, a very rich smooth Turkish blend that was originally created for the great Russian basso, Feodor Chaliapin. They came in a nice little box

Feb 6, 2012
Thanks for all the replies! I got busy with work and didn't check up on this thread since I posted yesterday.
Sobranie Black Russians are indeed delicious. I have only gotten my hands on a few of them, and they are definitely my favorite cigarette by far. Way better than Dunhills or Nat Shermans in my opinion.
I am going to drive myself crazy looking for these damn things. The search continues...

drennan

Can't Leave
Mar 30, 2014
Normandy
Gauloises are certainly an aquired taste, one that I don't have. They're available at every tabac locally but nobody seems to buy them. I believe they're suppose to be Turkish and Syrian tobacco

anglesey

Can't Leave
Jan 15, 2014
Not worth the money. There's nothing remarkable about the black russians, or the cocktails. I smoke embassy filters usually and there's no perceptible taste. The only differences are that I can tell, is that they're superking length and are wrapped in black paper.

Aug 14, 2012
Drennan: When I smoked Gauloises my voice went down an octave. Ever wonder where Belmondo got that raspy voice? Gauloises or Gitanes, which are even stronger.

condorlover1

Lifer
Dec 22, 2013
New York
Regarding the Russian cigarettes, two forum chaps have scooped the lot so I have no more available. My secretary is sending one lot out tomorrow US time and the balance on Friday. Still accepting orders for UK stuff if I can find it so PM assuming I don't expire from sleep deprivation!

May 31, 2012
All this talk of French cigarettes reminds me of Serge Gainsbourg.
Swiss artist Jinks Kunst created this amazing portrait of noted French singer Serge Gainsbourg out of cigarette butts. It’s been 20 years since the great artist passed away, and to pay homage to the legend, the artist went around collecting the cigarette filters. Kunst began collecting the filters since March 2008, and collected a total of 20,394 used cigarette filters.

Serge-Gainsbourg-portrait-made-from-cigarettes_2.jpg

...and one of my favorite songs,

:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dY9PY4r83p8

:
I tried the Black Russians a long time ago but didn't particularly care for them.
When I was younger I smoked many different kinds of cigarettes, I especially liked the nonfilters, back when you could walk into a grocery store and get a pack of Commander, and Chesterfield was pretty good too, but Gauloises and Gitanes were really really good. Prince of Denmark as well.
Ever since the USA mandated FSC papers, all factory cigs are rotten and taste horrible.

antbauers

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 12, 2013
That's very creative and does a great job of paying homage. Although collecting the cigarette filters sounds nasty. I wondered if he colored them because used filters are usually brown.

condorlover1

Lifer
Dec 22, 2013
New York
The Russian cigarette is a dangerous creature. One and a half inches of tobacco sitting on top of a card board tube without a filter which you have crush in the middle and then crush the end to form a mouth piece - ghastly smokes!

condorlover1

Lifer
Dec 22, 2013
New York
Lived there in 80s and in East Berlin so I used to get them from the 'Sov's' as well as that horrible black tobacco and no I am not Kim Philby :)

May 31, 2012
...bouncing around I just came across a pic of Serge Gainsbourg,

I knew he was an inveterate and impassioned smoker,

but I never knew he smoked a pipe,

chouette !
efFErDw.png

Status
Not open for further replies.