PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

jessicac

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 7, 2014
So after trying the Peterson Hyde Park, and the Gawith Hoggarth Rum Flake, I can say that I dislike these blends based on the lingering soapy taste..
What ingredient causes this taste, and what other blends have the similar taste (so I can avoid them).

barleynbaccy

Can't Leave
May 31, 2013
I've never had Hyde Park but Rum Flake is a "Lakeland" blend. Hyde Park may be as well I just have never tried it.
The safe way to go about this would be to stay away from any of the Gawith brothers blends. That being said Chocolate Flake has very little of it, and is great. The Brown Flake and Full Virginia Flake are also non Lakeland blends that Gawith makes.
I would try and look up the blend or find it on a tobacco reviews type of site and see if it's listed as a Lakeland. The reviewers most defiantly will let you know.

judcole

Lifer
Sep 14, 2011
Detroit
Many Lakeland blends are topped with tonquin essence.This is what gives that flavor. I can't speak as to Hyde Park, since I've not tried it. G&H seems to use it more in their blends than SG does.

I wouldn't bother with looking at review sites; SG tells you what blends have tonquin flavoring. Sam Gawith

zekest

Lifer
Apr 1, 2013
I was not one of the kids who ate crayons, paste, and soap, so sorry, I don't have a taste reference to eating (or smoking) soap.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I've steered clear of Gawith and Lakeland blends. I'm not an aromatic smoker mostly anyway, and though I smoke

a few aros as a change-up, I like the ones that still have a dominant tobacco flavor. The Lakeland blends are also

the epicenter for all the worry about ghosting pipes and designating pipes to avoid experiencing ghosting. This is

such a great time, a golden age, for the variety of blends, it is a shame to have pipes pigeon-holed for only one blend.

I suspect if folks smoke Lakeland blends early in their pipe smoking, they might retain good associations (in some

cases), and have nostalgia for that soapy flavor. For others with long experience with tobacco flavor itself, I do not

think this works well.

crusader

Can't Leave
Aug 18, 2014
Nebraska
Lakeland is most definitely an acquired taste. I have a small amount of GH brown scented and Bosun. A change of pace smoke every great once and a while. I do have a cob that is set aside for them though because they are a complete ecto containment center for the gheist.

jitterbugdude

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 25, 2014
"Many Lakeland blends are topped with tonquin essence.This is what gives that flavor."
They use many, many more flavorings than just Tonka beans.

phil67

Lifer
Dec 14, 2013
I was not one of the kids who ate crayons, paste, and soap, so sorry, I don't have a taste reference to eating (or smoking) soap.
As memory serves me I don’t believe I ever ate soap as a child either, but that’s not to say I wouldn’t have a pretty good grasp on what soap might possibly taste like. After all, the olfactory and taste senses are tightly intertwined as to how one can taste various things. I once tried Ennerdale Flake out of mere curiosity and thought I was going to vomit from the sickening soapy/cheap flowery perfume taste.
Yikes, that would be somewhat poor advice in my opinion! Gawith might very well be associated with Lakeland blends, but to avoid them all is foolish in my opinion. Not all Gawith blends contain tonquin essence, or whatever that disgusting soapy crap is. Chocolate Flake contains no tonquin essence to my knowledge (which I smoke and enjoy), nor does Squadron Leader, etc., and quite a few of their other blends. As the old adage goes: Don’t throw away the baby with the bath water. ;)

geirove

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 10, 2014
I just ordered after advice here Samuel Gawith`s Full Virginia Flake, does it contain tonquin aswell? It says :
pure pressed Virginias. Created in the heart of Lakeland,

cobguy

Lifer
Oct 18, 2013
Samuel Gawith`s Full Virginia Flake, does it contain tonquin as well?
No ... you're safe with that one.
SG Chocolate Flake is a good one as well ... Va/Bur with a pinch of Latakia and Cocoa

Status
Not open for further replies.