PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

squishbugs

Lurker
Dec 29, 2016
I would like to get a good whiskey taste from my tobacco pipe. One of the guys at the local tobacco stores suggested soaking it in whiskey, or cleaning it with whiskey. He did not however, give me the exact rundown on how to do it. I have a Kaywoodie Redroot briar pipe. My question is, how long do I let the bowl soak for? Is it necessary to soak and clean at the same time? Are there any specific tricks that have not been mentioned in the other forums that I might be missing?

mackeson

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 29, 2016
I wouldn't soak for long, and never the outside unless you don't care about ruining the finish on the pipe. I think that cleaning with whiskey and maybe leaving a whiskey soaked pipe cleaner in the stem for a couple hours should probably do the trick. I'm sure one of the members more experienced with the properties of briar may have more specific instructions.

B18

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 27, 2015
I would recommend to put some cotton in the bowl and shank (depending if its a straight or bend pipe) than pour your whiskey. The cotton would ensure that the whole bowl gets some whiskey instead of only the bottom. Also i would leave it a whole day or 2 so that the whiskey can penetrate the wood more deeply.
that is what i would suggest.

alexnorth

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 7, 2015
This is fascinating to me. Does burning tobacco next to wood soaked in whisky really relay the taste of said soaking agent? Would it work with Fanta aswell?

B18

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 27, 2015
Alexnorth I have never heard anyone do it with Fanta or non-alcoholic drinks. If i were to try it, i would at least shake all the bubbles out of the fanta and leave it longer to soak. because i think that alcohol plays a big role in absorbing the flavour into the wood but you could try it, I would like to hear your results.

numbernine

Lurker
Dec 26, 2016
Clean your pipe first.Fill your bowl with sea salt,drop alcohol of your choice in untill the salt is 100% saturated,( plug you pipe with a plastic bag over the tenon ) let stand overnight . The next day dump the pipe run a cleaner through it let it dry and you have "flavored" your pipe. I wouldn't use a fine Kaywoodie for this ,don't you have a Grabow or a Medico???
Sixten

pagan

Lifer
May 6, 2016
West Texas
image.png

Status
Not open for further replies.