PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

bonanzadriver

Can't Leave
Nov 28, 2016
I know that there are many of you out there that have that one or three pipes that you really enjoy smoking. Our very own JimInks obviously has quite the collection, but seems to regularly smoke his "Formerly owned by William Conrad" beauty.
I'm not talkin about what pipe necessarily smokes the best, but what pipe shape really grabs you?
For me, ruling out some of the incredible artisan creations by folks here and others like Mark Balkovec, I am drawn to a few different shapes.
Firstly, there's something about a Bent Bulldog. I don't know if I can put into words what makes em push my buttons, but as I look over at my stable of restored smokers, and those in cue, I realize that I now have a dozen or so. Some of em are just simple drugstore varieties, others are real beauties with amazing grain and flowing lines. Heck, one of them that I recently broght back to life is wrapped in leather and is almost too pretty to smoke. (almost :) )
I also have an affinity to the Horn styles. I have a couple of Zulu's, one of which is my designated "Golfin" pipe. I also have a Yacht that was a total wreck when I got it, but holy cow did it turn out beautiful!
Lastly, I'm drawn to pretty much any "Bent" pipe that has the right lines. This includes Billiards, Dublins and Brandy's. Ok, ok, truth be told, I like pretty much any Bent pipe with nice lines. :oops:
So, which shapes make yer hear go pitter patter?

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Volcanos, blowfish, eggs, and Zulus. Here's some of the herd that won my heart.
img_20160516_134541-600x337.jpg

didache

Can't Leave
Feb 11, 2017
London, England
This may be one of those things where the answer changes over time. I started smoking a pipe around 1973 or so - I was 20 then. For quite a few years I smoked almost nothing but bents, mainly of the Peterson type. Now as I approach my middle 60s I find myself almost always reaching for a billiard. Maybe it's something to do with getting older and finding more satisfaction in a very traditional shape?

josephcross

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 30, 2015
Yup that's the one. Now if I could ever find a Kriswill.

Very pretty pipes!

M

mothernaturewilleatusallforbreakfast

The billiard sings to me right now, but it changes from time to time. Last year at this time it was the long shanks; lovat, Canadian, lumberman, and Liverpool. I went through a poker and cherrywood phase, and an artsy freehand phase. Although, the billiard is the one that sings the sweetest song to me.

grouchydog

Can't Leave
Oct 16, 2013
Bent bulldog.

Straight billiard.

Peterson B10 - something about that bent-Dublin-meets-Calabash just seems so balanced to my eyes.

bigpond

Lifer
Oct 14, 2014
The shape chart doesn't have any resonance with me, there's too much beauty in these chunks of wood. That said, I'm always drawn to pipes with very thin bowls. There's just something elegant about a pipe with a bowl less than an inch wide. The taller the better.

bluegrassbrian

Your Mom's Favorite Pipe Smoker
Aug 27, 2016
Louisville
Longer shanks of the round and lithe variety. I also really like saddle bit stems. Attach those to a group 2 or 3 sized billiard, brandy, Dublin, or egg (or any hybridization thereof) and you've got a pipe I'll put a down payment on.

Status
Not open for further replies.