So This Happened - Monster Estate Haul (Pics)

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

pruss

Lifer
Feb 6, 2013
Mytown
So... I'm an unrepentant scrounger of all things pipe and tobacco. I review online classified ads from BC to Newfoundland and occasionally strike gold. That happened last week. I was scrolling through ads in Quebec and saw a listing for 100 estate pipes. The picture showed a grouping of 45 pipes, and listed a price. I phoned a friend in Montreal and asked him to chase it for me. Today I arrived home to 45 pipes!
34 of the pipes are Blatter and Blatter pipes from the storied Montreal shop and family. The other 10 are mostly Quebec shop pipes (baskets) excluding a lovely Medico pipe made of Brylon and a meerschaum sultan warden.
I'll post 'em for sale once they are cleaned and good to go. But for now, here they are:

-- Pat

Dec 24, 2012
Some history of this venerable brand: http://pipedia.org/wiki/Blatter_%26_Blatter
Great thread here too: http://pipesmagazine.com/forums/topic/blatter-amp-blatter-1
Great score Pat.

shaintiques

Lifer
Jul 13, 2011
Georgia
That is a great looking lot, shouldn't be too much work to get those smoke able. I like the look of the bent panel at the very top of the first pic.

simnettpratt

Lifer
Nov 21, 2011
Holy cow. What a gorgeous representation of pipe shapes both standard and not. Didn't even know they made a churchwardeny type meerschaum. I like all but one of them!

newbroom

Lifer
Jul 11, 2014
Florida
I hadn't heard of the 'brand', but thanks to links in thread I see that these are likely some quality burners.

That is some haul! I wonder? Where are the other 55 pipes?

How, now, can you possibly justify another PAD for at least....what, a year?

pruss

Lifer
Feb 6, 2013
Mytown
That is some haul! I wonder? Where are the other 55 pipes?
The ad listed 100 pipes for sale, my friend was only able to secure 45.
How, now, can you possibly justify another PAD for at least....what, a year?
I buy, restore and re-sell estate pipes so I can afford PAD and TAD, and equipment purchases for my shop.
-- Pat

fearsclave

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 9, 2014
Awesome score! Big Blatter & Blatter fan here. They were my grandfather's pipe shop, and I have bent and straight bulldogs from them that are my fave pipes...

pruss

Lifer
Feb 6, 2013
Mytown
Thanks for the hearty congratulations fang. I fully realize the magnitude of this score. I was looking at the Blatter pipes again tonight. Most are dated and are from the seventies, through the eighties, and into the early nineties. These pictures don't do any justice to the stunning grain which is endemic I this collection.
I'll be sure to post lots of pictures as I clean them up.
-- Pat

cobguy

Lifer
Oct 18, 2013
Really nice Pat ... I see a few I'll be watching for in the "sale" section! :puffy:

Status
Not open for further replies.