New Cigars

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
I work with a high school part time as a speech and debate coach, so every year I coach all of the speakers at graduation. I also get to set on stage during the ceremony with faculty. For twenty five years now, I have donned the robed of a PHD, and walked with pomp and circumstance across the stage of academia. This year, I got to grab my youngest just after she received her diploma and give her a big hug. I have gotten to do this with all of my kids, and it is my biggest motivator through those rough patches in the academic road with them; "I have worked all of these years with that school to be able to hug you on stage at graduation. You're not giving up."

This year, being my last from my loins, and hearing the above for all of her 18 years, "she broke down on stage, causing me to choke up a little." But, then we quickly recovered for a photograph.
She has won a full tuition ride in cosmetology, receiving the highest award of being a paid spokesman for the school for two years. She will spend her time outside of class, going to schools to promote the school, she will be on TV, and get paid travel abroad to study. She has been working with our local film union as a make-up artist for select movies filmed in our area, and she has aspirations to run a company to handle make-up for film and TV.
So, here is the proud Papa and his pride and joy.

so-proud.jpg

Thank you for indulging me in this moment.

bassbug

Lifer
Dec 29, 2016
Cosmic,
Been there, as have so many other parents. There are no words to describe that full feeling of pride. In those moments every single broken curfew, silly teenage stunt and every dirty diaper going back to day one is forgotten.
I truly believe that children are a blessing to be treasured.
Congratulations to both of you.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Beautiful girl Michael. Sounds like nothing but the brightest of futures ahead of her. You can definitely see the glow of pride beaming from the papa.

papipeguy

Lifer
Jul 31, 2010
Bethlehem, Pa.
This is a beautiful story. It is so refreshing to read about a young person who not only has many impressive achievements but also has a life plan. Lot's to be proud of, pop. You done good.

opus777

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 12, 2018
Awesome post Cosmic. I have 2 daughters myself and know exactly how you feel as a proud Poppa. Best wishes for her future!

jamban

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 6, 2018
Thank you for sharing, Michael. Congratulations to the both of you! I wish your daughter all good things for the road ahead...

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
Congratulations! Preparing a youngster for success is no mean feat in today's world, and it looks like you accomplished that with flying colors. Thanks for sharing that moment. :clap:

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Many wonderful things in this short post and photo. The one that especially moved me is the glory of having a daughter (or son) who has, over the course of growing up, actually engaged with a career path so there is some career they love and strongly pursue. Only those who have observed young people, some of them gifted in several areas, who just can't settle into an idea of life work. When I was in high school, my dad looked at me with my shortwave radio, my cameras and darkroom under the basement stairs, my typewriter and manuscripts, and several other hobbies and interests, and said I needed to focus in on something as a central interest. Dad was a wonderful mentor and counselor, but in this case, he missed a point. Every one of those interests and several others played a major part in my earning a living over the years, often several in a single job, in the Navy and beyond. I was finding my focus and it was all of the above. Congratulations to your wonderful daughter and her dad. May her future be even brighter than you both imagine.

beefeater33

Lifer
Apr 14, 2014
Central Ohio
Congratulations to the Cosmic family!! You have a lot to be proud of and that was a wonderful read. Looks like she's on the right track, as papipeguy said above, "You done good"!.................. :clap:

Status
Not open for further replies.