So My Friend Wants to Try Smoking a Pipe...

SmokingPipes.com Updates

New Cigars

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Perique

Lifer
Sep 20, 2011
www.tobaccoreviews.com
I've got to decide what tobacco to give him first. Big decision, because I want him to like it and pick up the hobby.
He's a dipper and a once-in-a-blue-moon cigar smoker.
So here are some of my ideas based on what I have on hand. Would like to hear yours too.
Peterson Irish Oak

PS Luxury Bullseye Flake

GLP Haddo's Delight

?
What do you think is a good first tobacco to make a good impression?

bigboi

Lifer
Nov 12, 2012
Sounds like some good tobacco for the first try..maybe throw in a English just to see if he likes that vein as well.

brdavidson

Lifer
Dec 30, 2012
Since youre staying away from aros, what about escudo? Erinmore is so strong I think it would be a bit much for a new smoker

brdavidson

Lifer
Dec 30, 2012
That's a good point Roth, it took me 3 months to figure it out. Thinking back I probably would have gone meh! Not that I've figured it out, just now I absolutely love it.

kashmir

Lifer
May 17, 2011
Northern New Jersey
I'd recommend Captain Black White. It was my first tobacco thirty years ago, and I still enjoy it. It's a great tobacco for someone to start out on. That and a cob and you can't go wrong.

Perique

Lifer
Sep 20, 2011
www.tobaccoreviews.com
Roth- agreed that was my thought with Escudo as well.
Sorry guys I would not give him Captain Black. He's my friend...
Only thing with 1Q is he's a seasoned nicotine addict so I figured we would start with a more flavorful tobacco.

eazye77

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 21, 2012
Mac barn 7seas

might be a bit much if not smoked right. That was the first tobacco I smoked and it bit my tongue up. Give him some carter hall and then graduate him to a nice English blend.
Btw, I gave a first timer some escudo and he loved it.

tanless1

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 14, 2010
Send the rainbow. Key largo'blundercake'1q'and maybe a sutliff blend.
I recently got to do this for a friend,so I sent the ipsd goodie bag.....along with samples of some of my favorites.

erichbaumer

Dec 4, 2012
Illinois
+1 Roth

It's different with a seasoned cigar smoker. I recently got a huge cigar afficionado friend into pipes, and the problem he had trying them before was that they were weak, thin and one dimensional. So for his first pipesmoke I gave him some Nightcap. He absolutely loved it. IMHO, the worst thing you can pick is a simple blend. Cigar guys will take a while to learn to pick up the subtleties in pipe tobacco, since they're used to bold, in the face flavors. The stronger/bolder VaPers would be great, as would a good stiff English. Something with both complexity and boldness. Just my thoughts. The cigar blend idea is good to-my buddies current favorite is Billy Budd, no surprise there.

brassonly

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 3, 2012
I have a good friend of mine who I introduced to Pipe smoking he is a heavy cigarette smoker who also smokes a few cigars. He always has enjoyed smoking Sutliff Private Stock "Molto Dolce" . Its a very nice flavourful blend.

bigboi

Lifer
Nov 12, 2012
My buddies first pipe smoke was Haddos Delight and he loved it..maybe try him on that

Apr 26, 2012
Washington State
This may seem dumb, but what about Granger in a MM corn cob. Granger smokes great in a cob and is consistently good. It won't bite, it won't over power him and he'll get some good flavor out of it.
Keep it simple and don't over do it and he won't be overwhelmed either.

appointed

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 8, 2013
I had never smoked anything before I picked up a pipe (still ain't), and I started out with a few aros and a cob, but within the first week or two I was smoking Nightcap out of a briar. Now everyone's taste is different and changes overtime, so there is no way of telling what your friend will like especially since he smokes cigars sometimes. The biggest thing you can do for him would be to stress to him the variety of pipe tobacco, and that tastes not only improve as technique improves, but that tastes expand and evolve. Simply put, explain to him that there are thousands of different blends and his best bet is to sample them all until he finds something he likes. It seems like you already have a good variety for him, but if you're gonna choose an English, I couldn't think of anything better to start out with than Dunhill Nightcap. It is bold and full-bodied and doesn't need much care to get a good flavor out of. That's why I think it is good for beginners and seasoned pipers alike. It was one of the first blends I tried and still one of my favorites. I would strongly recommend it for him to try. He may just be a latakia kind of guy.

john218

May 5, 2012
Connecticut
I think the preparation required for a flake or navy cut might be a little discouraging to some people starting out.
A couple different type blends would give him an idea of the variety in pipe tobacco.
Some Carter Hall, an English like Early Morning Pipe or 965, a virginia or Vaper blend that's not a flake and one of the aromatics others have mentioned would give him a good start.
A good smoking, but not necessarily expensive briar and a couple of cobs would set him up.
Have him join the forum, so that members can add their advise and experience to what you will be giving him.

Status
Not open for further replies.