So Many New Blends Due to Impending Regulations?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

Status
Not open for further replies.

lestrout

Lifer
Jan 28, 2010
Chester County, PA
I am amazed at the huge numbers of new blends being introduced. I love it, since I love new and wondrous things. But I wonder why?
Are the blenders trying to grandfather brands and blends in case the impending regulations might make future product introductions onerously difficult?
Or are we looking (perhaps also) at distribution forces at work, as the big tobacco companies consolidate. In particular I see a strategy of product line extension in play with cigar companies and pipe makers entering or embellishing their pipe blend portfolios.
hp

les

decigar

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 2, 2013
I was lucky enough to have a conversation with the President of a pipe tobacco company recently. He acknowledged there is a grandfather date (2007?) for tobacco products the in the proposed FDA regulation. His strategy is to get out as much as he can while he can. Then point back to blends pre-grandfather date and say the new ones have the same basic ingredients. He admits this might not work but is taking a risk.
The other theory that maybe at play is the Manufacturers / Distributors are pushing out as much as they can to reduce inventory as a hedge against the FDA and/or the ban of online tobacco sales.
Either way I agree it has been exciting the last 2 months. Lots of 20% off sales recently, even in the cigar side.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Rose colored glasses here, I thought it was just a golden age of tobacco blending bidding for a

small but well-informed cohort of pipe smokers. Maybe there's a little of that in it?

simnettpratt

Lifer
Nov 21, 2011
The grandfather date is February 15, 2007. As far as saying the new blends are essentially the same as ones that are grandfathered, good luck with that. You would be asking a federal agency to use common sense and be reasonable.

oklansas

Can't Leave
Apr 16, 2013
DC
In the short-term, at least, it's good to have a large selection from which to choose.

Status
Not open for further replies.