Status
Not open for further replies.

admin

Smoking a Pipe Right Now
Staff member
Nov 16, 2008
St. Petersburg, FL
pipesmagazine.com
For anyone that has been smoking pipes for at least the last few years, it is likely obvious that there are always new blends coming out - more than most of us can keep up with.
Are there too many new blends?
Well, maybe someone could complain about that, but a much bigger problem would be having no new blends coming out.
Fred Brown had a candid discussion with Chris Tarler of Cornell & Diehl and Russ Ouellette, blender of the Hearth & Home line of tobaccos. If you'd like to learn why there is such a constant flow of new tobaccos from the insider's perspective, check out Fred's new column here -
So Many Blends ... So Little Time

latbomber

Part of the Furniture Now
May 10, 2013
Good article. I would attest some of it to be like how a band has to release a new album every couple years to stay relevant/search for that "number one hit"

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Fred Brown does good work. I'm intrigued by the marketing dynamic he describes. Novelty

drives online sales that drive the market. The flaw in this for the consumer is that, once you

find a blend you particularly like, there is the distinct chance it won't be around in two years,

no matter how much you like it, nor how much you buy. Also, pipe smokers that buy mostly

online may tend to be transitory in their tastes. They may not go back to good old MM965,

being too busy smoking a dozen other blends that grab them. As long as we are content to

be forever sampling, this is quite a fiesta of blends, with a few duds to keep us moving. But

if you are looking for consistency and the nostalgia of a blend you have long neglected, it's

a roll of the dice if you'll ever see it again, and good luck. I'm loving the new blends. But I

sure enjoy a bowl of Granger now and again.

puffdoggie

Can't Leave
Dec 14, 2013
Great article. That 'splains my dozen tin backlog of blends I'm trying out. Apparently there is no hope of getting my TAD under control! 8O

Status
Not open for further replies.